Shallow spring fed pond- Weeds, waterfall pump, and aeration?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my dad has a ~30ft diameter, 3ft deep, spring fed pond (several gallons per minute).

We are going to make a floating platform for a pump I have and pump it onto the cave rocks over the spring source for an aesthetic spot for him to relax.

Problem: the pond grows weeds (see pic) and I figured the pump will get clogged in short order, atleast in summer months.

The waterfall pump will only run when he is enjoying it, so I would not be able to use that pump for an additional work of water agitation (if that would even help).

So, I thought about a small pong aerator in the 15000 gallon pond range to run from midnight to 6AM in the warm months.

I am unsure how to proceed and would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you. -Mike

PS. To pre-empt any question as to the white balls: they are some solar led inflatables that he put in for decor.
IMG-0500.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump I am using is a Tsurumi Hs3.75s-62. It is a Manual Electric Submersible trash pump. 1HP & 3-inch discharge. Designed to pump sand, solids and debris with minimal wear and clogging.

Tsurumi Pump.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Crickets?...I measured water flow yesterday and it is 17 Gallons Per Minute. Little help. Please. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder if you could set it on rocks or bricks on the bottom. Some here have mentioned they tie a rope on for easy retrieval. Hopefully others more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A trash pump is a good choice still no guarantee it won't clog up . I myself would get like 12 aquablocks to make a large pre-filter to keep out the big stuff and fish. Or like a water tote from tractor supply then place it upside down over the pump

Ask a Question