Shallow water full sun hardies?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So...since we decided not to build a creek to our pond, we now have a chunk of pre-cut pond/creek liner that can't be returned to the store...and I got an idea.

We have a series of three 4' x 4' raised garden beds (composite material) alongside our cabin that failed as vegetable garden beds, but excelled as flowerbeds. Flowerbeds that are now massively overgrown. So I was thinking about transplanting the giant specimens to other areas of our yard, and converting the beds into 1/3 planting beds, 2/3 container water gardens. These would be plants only and no fish. (My cheezy paint sketch below).

I am pretty new to the aquatic plant world, so my question to the veterans out there: What, if any, varieties of hardy water lilies would do well in full (morning and early afternoon) sun, in 8"-9" of water, zone 7a? Likewise, would said water lilies over winter very well without me having to move them to the depths of our pond? (We rarely get winter weather that causes more than a thin skin of ice over surfaces.) I pretty much would like to stick with hardies to avoid the expense of replacing tropicals every year.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

IdeaWeb.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my lilies are in a pond by them selves and are now growing water hyacinth on the root ball of it .So why not taddies or mosquito dunks will take care of any bug problem .My walmart had mosquito dunks clearanced out 12 for 2 dollars

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my lilies are in a pond by them selves and are now growing water hyacinth on the root ball of it .So why not taddies or mosquito dunks will take care of any bug problem .My walmart had mosquito dunks clearanced out 12 for 2 dollars
I have mosquito dunks for our rain barrel, and plenty of frogs to make tadpoles. I'm interested in what types of hardy water lilies would be best for this particular set up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In your zone you could , most likely, leave the lilies where they grow. I would try to find a small foot print lily, some varieties spread out real wide some are smaller. When you read about the lily it will tell you.

I have a nearly black growing in a shallow pond for years now. It does just fine and does not put out a ton of leave.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for that @addy1 . I was curious about it even for the lilies in our big pond... It would be nice to either leave them on the shelf where they're at, or at least, drop them just off the edge of that shelf with a tether to lift them back up later. Vs. wading out deep to sink or raise them.... I'd need my cold water kayak gear for that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd need my cold water kayak gear for that!

Oh, come on now! We ponders are tough! Wade right in there! haha! And you're in Tennessee? You don't KNOW cold!

Just teasing you - I waited a bit too long last fall and had the coldest dip of my pond life thus far. I will not procrastinate this year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, come on now! We ponders are tough! Wade right in there! haha! And you're in Tennessee? You don't KNOW cold!

Just teasing you - I waited a bit too long last fall and had the coldest dip of my pond life thus far. I will not procrastinate this year!

:ROFLMAO::LOL: I'm originally from Michigan, we send our cold down the lake to you!

Ask a Question