Share Spring Photos Here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
For those of us in the Midwest, trying to be patient for spring to arrive, thought I would start this thread so that those of you in warmer climates, or those who have had spring weather arrive already, would please share your beautiful flowers and greenery. Post anything spring related: new growth in your ponds and bogs, plants in your gardens, new baby animals (I know baby chickens are being sold locally this time of year), anything that will help those of us still struggling with 20's and 30's at night, and desperate to see some spring beauty!

Patti

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I guess I should have provided something. Although we have no flowers blooming here yet, the spring bulbs are up or coming up, and daffodils flower buds are there ... just waiting for the right moment to open. It's a bright sunshiny day here, and although high is only supposed to be 44, tomorrow's high is only 32, darn it.

Here is my exciting find from last weekend. These are Praying Mantis egg sacs. I found one when I was pruning back my butterfly bushes that had gone wild, so went through all the other branches I had bagged up, and found two more!
Praying Mantis egg sac.JPGPraying mantis egg sac 2.JPGPraying Mantis egg sac 3.JPG

Reaction score
Cool! Now I know what that was my son and I were looking at! :)
Do they winter like that ce? And my daffodils and hyacinths are up already, I'll try to upload a pic. Wish we could upload pics from the iPhone, I would post pics all the time :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hahahaha KoiGuy it doesn't surprise me. :) Loved it.
Yes, Fishylove, they winter over. I just found them on the butterfly bush last weekend, and they are supposed to hatch "in the spring". Well, we first need some spring weather for goodness sake, and it's not looking good here for the rest of the week. High tomorrow here is only 32, darn it!
JW, my friend has hellebores in her yard, and they are my "gotta have" for this year. I guess they are pretty expensive, so I'll be watching for them at end of season. Love the peony Dr. Case! They will be really pretty when they bloom. I have a bleeding heart I noticed is coming up, and it looks similar to your peony, but only maybe 2" up so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nice, Andy. That's a plant I want to add to my ponds this spring (if spring ever gets here, that is LOL) or summer. Are your Golden Club sprouting yet? Wondering how warm the water needs to be before they come back to life. Been unusually cold this spring, totally unlike last spring, when it was 50 degrees warmer than it is now. :sad:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My naked lady lillies think it's spring time...to bad our weather man doesn't say so with his forcast of 5-6 inches of snow this weekend!!! argh...come on spring my fish want back outside in their pond!!!

Attachments

• P3180680.JPG
    P3180680.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 354
  • P3180678.JPG
    P3180678.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Ooooh, very pretty, Dr. Case! Panseys are the only flowers I've seen for sale around here so far.
Rebel, your "naked lady lilies" look very similar to my "Surprise Lilies", which I just noticed last weekend are up about 2-3". Do yours come up with the greenery, then die back, then send up a pink flower on a stem later on? And, your fish are very pretty! Can you tell me if your black and orange fish is always colored like this, or if it's changing from all black to maybe be all orange eventually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, it has been a cold February, temps often 10f below norm in the 15f-45f range.

Even an early riser like Golden Club, has barely sprouted much so far and a late Spring is forecast for March this year

I have to look at last years photo to see Golden Club :::sniffle:::

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

golden_club8.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yep CE my lillies die back after a month or two of those green leaves then shoot up a stem with a flower ontop. Don't ask why they are called that round here as the b/f calls them that and works part-time in the spring at a greenhouse (after his real job) and thats what they call them lol. The black/gold fish I have just started changing to what it is now last fall and this winter...it was all black this past summer...so guessing it'll go to all gold eventually.

Ask a Question