Share Spring Photos Here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oooooo pretty pink flowers, Dr Case! What is that plant?
We have rain today, not nice after such beautiful weather this past week in the 80s. Going to be doing good to get to mid 50's today, but just pretty much steady temps. At least we are not getting down to the 30's and 40's! I thought we should be done with the "April Showers" and just enjoying the "May Flowers" ... evidently Mother Nature has a plan for all of us, different than what we had hoped for!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:bowdown: Only got down to 37

The pink flower is a peony , My wife bought that spinner thing at a garden show years ago i need to put the inside thing back in

I got my front yard cleaned up today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
WOW, what a yard, Dr. Case!!!! And, are you sure that's a peony? If so, I want to know the variety, if you by any chance know of it. I've never seen one that has a yellow center like that and I love it. I've never cared much for peony's either, so this is a first with me! Please enlighten me, if you know. I'll watch for one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is a different looking Peony for sure! Looks kinda like some kind of daisy but the leaves looks like Peony. Very pretty!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got a box full of plant tags some were i haven't seen it in a long time
Once i plant something 95% of the time the plant name is gone as soon as it hits the dirt , just like numbers and directions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I totally agree with you, Dr. Case. I have gotten into the habit of leaving the tags on the plants or in the ground next to them just the first year, then I put them in a bucket in my closet. Every now and then I have to go dig one out to remember what it is that was planted in that spot.
I was glad I left the tags all winter on a new plant I got last year late summer on clearance. I can't remember what it was now, maybe bell flower ...but it's coming back! When I see something coming up that doesn't look like a weed, I check to try to remember what I planted there last year. Yep, it's that same plant. Wow, things are growing really fast here with the rain and warmer temps earlier this week. Now it's in the 50's, staying pretty much steady, need to turn my heat back on. Chilly in the house!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
More blooms waking up with all the sunshine we have been having:

Rhody's
IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

1st bloom of the year from the Yellow Flag Iris stuck in between the rocks around the pond edge
IMG_4870.JPG

Lungwort
IMG_4869.JPG

Pansy's and Sea Thrift
IMG_4868.JPG

Candy Tuft
IMG_4866.JPG

Azalea's
IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

Agapanthus
IMG_4863.JPG

Sea Thrift
IMG_4862.JPG

Lithodora
IMG_4861.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Beautiful pics, JW, thanks for sharing. I love that Candy Tuft. How tall does that plant grow? It looks kind of like an Asiatic Lily type of plant. I like plants that don't get tall and wiry, guess it's because of the winds here that would knock that type down. I've learned to stick with the dwarfs or sturdy plants. I just love the flower petals on that plant, very unique.
I took a bunch of pics today, lots of new flowers blooming here, too!
I think this is Bachelor's button ... in my wildflower garden
Bachelors button I think ... electric wire fence behind it.JPG
Columbine
Columbine.JPG
Japanese Fern is growing well
Japanese fern.JPG
Double Rose Azalea starting to bloom
New Double Rose Azalea.JPG
Wildflowers I dug up from edge of field last year ... not sure what they are called ... weeds?! :)
Wildflowers from the fields.JPG
This is in my wildflower garden, but not sure what it is. It's short, maybe 8" at the most. I also have same plant in red flower. Anyhow know what it is?
Small wild flower not sure what it is.JPG
My goldfish were happy to pose for pics!!!
My goldfish gang.JPGShubies and Comets.JPG
Bought 3 new Shubunkins. This one is all black (although from the side you can see a copper color) and has a white nose. Not sure what he will change to as he matures, but thought it was kind of unique if it keeps this coloring.
New Shubie - but he's black with white face.JPG
And, I just could not pass up this Ladybug spinner. Love that kind of thing!!!
Ladybug spinner.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The plant w/ the white flowers gets about 8" tall so it would be a good one to stay low for you CE. The blossoms are not big they are only about an inch or so across. The camera just makes them look bigger.
You have a lovely variety of so many types of blooming plants. You have been gathering them as you go for quite awhile now. Soon you will have one of every kind that is hardy for your area the way you are going. Your fish look happy and what a cool black shubbie! I think I shouldn't get any more fish now. They are having babies and my pond is only 2500 gals max and don't want to overcrowd it. I'll just have to be happy w/ the ones I have and might need to eventually give away some of my plain old oj ones down the road. Not my big ones tho!
That's a cute spinner you found there :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I like anything unusual, so you're right, JW, I keep buying unique things, both fish and plants. I do need to stop buying fish, or rehome some of my others. My goldfish pond remains crystal clear, koi pond is turning murky again. But, I stirred up (not on purpose, mind you) the pool at the base of the waterfall, before it goes into the pond, and found a pot in there with black mud. Should have shut off the waterfall, but oh well. Need to net the bottom of that area, with waterfall shut off, and get the muck out of there. I think I had a couple of pots, and now have muck. I thought about putting pea gravel in there, but now I'm thinking it will be best to not have anything, so I can net it out if junk collects in that pool. Glad I hadn't put any pea gravel in there yet! Water running over the top of it would not clean the muck out at all. Will put plants in there that like water movement, and about 14" of water ... any suggestions, my fellow ponders?
Also, is it just me, or do others get black muck in pots that have kitty litter in them? Any of the pond lilies I pulled the litter turned black and stinky. I'm now wondering if there is anything that would work better, or if it's just a matter of having to divide anyhow, so doesn't really matter, get rid of the old and start with new each spring?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't remember seeing my pots w/ kitty litter in them turn black w/ muck. I will have to check when I put the fertilizer in my water lily pots. I've tried using gravel in the past and it is so heavy and the lily roots gets so tight and tangled in it all, it's a mess! I've used soil and same thing. I haven't had my lilies in the litter for very long so hoping when I need to divide (not this year) that the roots won't cling to the litter as much. Did you find it easy to divide using the litter CE? I would think maybe the lilies like it in black stinky stuff as isn't that what they like to grow in out in the wild? If the black stinky pots aren't disturbed I wonder if it hurts anything being in the pond? If something stirs them up and it spreads out into the pond water then I would think that would create a problem. Anybody know for sure on this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my lilies flipped the pot, the black, mucky clay went everywhere. Did not bother the pond at all. I had to tie that one to the pot, it is floating out.

Wild flowers and red tip

DSC05520.JPG

DSC05514.JPG

DSC05515.JPG

Clematis

DSC05516.JPG

Carnivorous plants blooming

DSC05517.JPG

DSC05518.JPG

And of course the babies.........

DSC05525.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow nice blooms addy and love those Carnivorous ones! And you Clematis is so full of blooms now. Mine has not opened up one bloom yet!
Get some handcuffs for those unruly lilies addy!
Your fish kids are looking well and nice clear water!

Ask a Question