Sharing fish pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Since my fish have all been coming up for food in the evenings, I thought I would take advantage and get some pictures of some of them.

The large platinum koi at center-right is a male butterfly has a body of just over 12". He originally had black streaks through his fins, but I think those have mostly grown out now. With his fins getting longer every year, he has been one of my favorites. At the bottom left is a silver koi with the dragon scales. That one originally had a yellow head, but has completely faded to silver. I wasn't too sure about the scales at first, but as this one is getting larger, the scales are looking impressive. The large orange/black/white koi is male, and one of my original three.
IMG_8329.JPG

The large orange/white koi is male, and the orange/black is female. They are the rest of my original three. All have a body length of around 16-17". They were given to me in 2009 when I had the original 160-gal pond -- not a lot of space for them in those days! Lots of goldfish and shubunkins here too. The orange/white koi has started begging for food from my this year and no longer freaks out when he is in the shallows and spots me. I spend a huge amount of time by my pond, yet he is the first one to seem to recognize me.
IMG_8324.JPG

Sorry for the blurry image, but this one gives a better sense of the scale of the pond and fish. The pond is about 6' wide between the waterfall and where I'm standing. Its fun to see the smaller fish jumping, but when one of the big guys jump, it makes quite a splash! I'm trying to get some logs to sink here to provide the fish with cover in the Winter -- already have a few pieces sunk.
IMG_8323.JPG

So what does everyone else consider as their favorite fish, and why do you like them? Show and tell!

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Nice group/pond, really like the platinum one and your orange and white big guy. I've been waiting to find the right platinum to add to my bunch. Haven't found the one yet tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Wow... I completely missed koikeeper's thread on exactly the same subject. I must be blind...

@TgM: thanks. Pretty much all of the fish were either picked up from local chains (mostly petsmart) or were born in that pond. I just watch for ones that have features I might like, and let them grow. So far I have had no luck getting a solid yellow koi, they all turn to a deep orange.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your fish are quite pretty shdw. I think my fave's are my shubbies. I can never get them to hold still for a good shot tho. They seem to be much busier than the other goldies.

There's one down in the lower left corner:
IMG_5961.JPG

and another in lower left:
IMG_5960.JPG

and one more to the right of the black fish in the center:
IMG_5959.JPG

and one more...............I think it's a different one anyways:
IMG_5955.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I just love the shubies with their long flowing fins! I have some comets with long fins as well, but they're not as ornamental as the shubunkins.

Ask a Question