Shattered Like Glass! Crumbled Like A Cookie!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Ok i've come across a ton of rocks since starting my pond dig like 2 weeks ago. i've saved a bunch of them to re-use and i'm running out of plastic planting pots to hold them in! So now i've just been chucking towards my supply and staging area. I've thrown a few rocks in this direction and look what has happened!

This rock has shattered like glass!
shatter1.jpg

A closer look:
shatter1b.jpg

here's another one that shattered:
shatter2.jpg

this one, i did not throw. i dropped near the pile and some pieces just broke off. there are pieces in the pot, some fallen to the ground. the pieces came from a rock like the oen at about 2/3 o'clock in the pix below.
shatter3.jpg

anyways i found this to be fascinating. That something as hard as rock can shatter like that. i guess that's what happens after decades under ground, pressure and natural deterioration. i also found some of the more igneous/granite type rocks that i've come across that were also deteriorating. they were more crumbly and i forgot to take pix tho.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love rocks, almost all of the rocks I dug up dissolved from the time I dug them up to the time I wanted to use them, they went back to being lumpy dirt.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A lot of sedimentary rocks like ironstone ( looks like this type in first pic)fall apart quickly when left exposed to the elements. Also, the dirt around rocks especially granite can compress and will appear to be a rock, but crumbles to dirt quickly. Usually see it with granite in rocks 6-8” and under.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of your hardest rock can fracture easily. Ask any woman about hard nail polish or a body shop guy with hard paints that have no flex. Once out in the open they can fracture quite easily but put it in the ground in a mass a try to get through it . Good luck. We have spent a full day on a 8 foot diameter hole with a 180,000 pound drill rig and only get a 1/2 inch of depth for a full 12 hours throwing everything in the book at it. But once out of the hole if you shock it "throw it it can shatter well more like fractuer into two pieces. The worst part is these can become very vary sharp alot of river rock does the same.

Ask a Question