Shelly the turtle saga continued...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've been keeping a close eye on our resident box turtle, and noticed yesterday that she had white, mucus-y foam in & around her mouth. It didn't look good/normal to me, so I went googling & the info I found said that was indicative of a respiratory infection & necessitated vet care. So this morning I packed her up & took a little 40 mile field trip to a wildlife rehab facility where she can get any necessary treatment possible. I have a case number to check up on her & when/if she is recovered enough to be able to be released, I will go back to pick her up so she can come back to her home territory. Box turtles do NOT relocate well, so bringing her back here would be very important. Fingers crossed for speedy healing!
Shelly to vet 02+.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for taking care of her! Most people aren’t aware that box turtles (weLL, probably all reptiles….) have very small range, and if they are taken out of their “native” area, they will probably not survive. Please post updates! My Boxies say “thank you,” as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for taking care of her! Most people aren’t aware that box turtles (weLL, probably all reptiles….) have very small range, and if they are taken out of their “native” area, they will probably not survive. Please post updates! My Boxies say “thank you,” as well!
Thanks. I will. Hopefully they'll be able to help her, but if not, at least I know she won't just be sick & suffering.

I remember reading somewhere that eastern box turtles live out their lives within a 200 yard radius of where they were born, and if they're taken out of that area they will do nothing but try to get back there, even if they die trying.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was a boy (about a hundred years ago) I discovered empirically that feeding slugs and snails to my box turtle would cause a reaction as described above. But no apparent harm.

Are there snails or slugs in your garden? Any use of poison bait?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I was a boy (about a hundred years ago) I discovered empirically that feeding slugs and snails to my box turtle would cause a reaction as described above. But no apparent harm.

Are there snails or slugs in your garden? Any use of poison bait?
No, no poisons in use anywhere around our house (and since we're on ten acres, the resident box turtles don't wander beyond our area) I did read that turtle mouth foam can be caused by certain foods, and we absolutely have snails/slugs around here, but she just wasn't acting right, and seemed to be having trouble swallowing or breathing. That, and the fact that I found one other dead box turtle recently, led me to the conclusion that she was ill.

And, hey! I guess the worst case scenario would be that the vet examines her, finds absolutely nothing wrong & they tell me to come straight back & collect "my" turtle. I'd be OK with that. ;)

Ask a Question