Shop Vac Question

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone know if they make a "Shop Vac" [in quotes, 'cause I refer to any brand of similar vacuum] that has a way to control the amt. of suction -- like a speed control, variable control, etc......?

I was using ours [Sears] yesterday, to clean out some last remaining groundwater, and thought how good it really would be as a "pond vac," but MAN, that thing really sucks! As in, a 5 gal. bucket of clean water was GONE in 2 seconds! It would be WAY too much for cleaning the bottom of the pond -- over kill, so to speak -- there wouldn't be a fish left in the pond, LOL!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the mini wet vacs suck less I think the are 2 .5 gallon ones and I saw them at lowes but my sister has a 1. 5 gallon one also she got at home depot at christmas time it was a special buy .Not sure if the suck less though.They claim they suck less

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Sissy! I thought about buying a smaller HP unit, but would really like to find ONE vacuum that you can adjust up or down.

Reaction score
Turtle Mum,

If you could insert a section of PVC pipe in-line with the flexible vacuum hose, add a Tee fitting and a ball valve, you could create an adjustable breather vent to divide the total vacuum up between the end of the hose and the breather valve, essentially making a "throttle" control valve. Set the ball valve position to adjust the vacuum at the end of the hose to suit your needs.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you know I was thinking about the hose .If you used a longer hose would it decrease the suction power ,similar to how a pond pump does ,the longer the hose the less the gph .I used a small floor nozzle attachment .I know my hose was the long 25 ft. one

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turtle Mum,

If you could insert a section of PVC pipe in-line with the flexible vacuum hose, add a Tee fitting and a ball valve, you could create an adjustable breather vent to divide the total vacuum up between the end of the hose and the breather valve, essentially making a "throttle" control valve. Set the ball valve position to adjust the vacuum at the end of the hose to suit your needs.

Gordy

Gordy, is this what you are describing?
image.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A short piece of pipe with a thumb size hole in it would reduce the flow
Just like the slide thing on alot of vacuum cleaners

Reaction score
i have a pond vac - seems OK - once i figured out it needed to be ABOVE the point at which the lowest point of the hose was trying to suck from...
also - in my experience so far, its not been overwhelming... my pond is part above and part below ground.
How deep is your pond? You may not have to perform the extra work to modify your vac.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i have a pond vac - seems OK - once i figured out it needed to be ABOVE the point at which the lowest point of the hose was trying to suck from...
also - in my experience so far, its not been overwhelming... my pond is part above and part below ground.
How deep is your pond? You may not have to perform the extra work to modify your vac.
It averages about 3'. There is some slope, so one spot is 4' and there are a couple of 2 1/2' spots.

Reaction score
i would try your shopvac... just port the exit back into the pond - see how much water is taken out/in to the pond - you might be surprised....

Ask a Question