Should I be concerned about the Eucalyptus seeds falling in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b: 25°F to 20°F
Country
United States
I have a Fifty foot, fifty year old eucalyptus tree near my 1200 gallon koi pond. The Santa Ana winds are blowing and thousands upon thousands of seed pods are falling everywhere. More than I have ever seen before in all the years I have lived here. I have never had trouble with this in the fish pond before and so far the fish seem fine, but I have read that Eucalyptus is toxic, Should I be concerned about the multitude of seeds collecting in the pond. Currently I am cleaning out the skimmer every day. Courous if anyone else has experienced tree debris in their pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know. Seems like you will be okay if you net them out daily before they rot. You indicate this is a yearly problem but this year, it is worse. So, your fish have been fine in the past. Consider covering your pond with netting while the leaves are falling. Here is what I do know: there is so much garbage on the net that a question like yours almost impossible to answer. For example: Taro (elephant ear) is commonly used around ponds. Yet, some websites say it is deadly to pond fish. Really? I looked and could not find any reliable source supporting this. Yet, key word it and you will find all sorts of ‘experts’ parroting the same bilge and none of the information is sited. Again, I think you will be fine if you net the leaves out daily. One thing you can do to help us all is let us know what happens after you deal with this issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b: 25°F to 20°F
Country
United States
Thank you Stephen, I hear what you are saying about searching the web. I tried it but came up with nothing relevant. The dropping of seeds (and I am going to say it is Billions of tiny seeds because my entire back yard is one inch thick with the things) has been going on for 3 days. Fortunatley they float on the pond so I have been netting what I can and cleaning the filters out each of the last three days. The wind is blowing a good bit tonight (Good old Southern California fall) and the seeds are coming down like rain. Lets hope this will be the end of it. I noticed the seeds are germinating on the filter pad, I have a new pad to change it out after this week.
My butterfly koi are good, So I am not really worried. Just was not sure if anyone else had experienced this before. I will keep you up to date. Thanks again.

Ask a Question