water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I buy it from bend tarp and liner, oregon. http://www.btlliners.com/index.php

Their web sites lists a bunch of uses http://www.btlliners.com/viewpage.php?pID=142

ppl is their trade mark name, "PPL™ is either a double ply or triple ply polyethylene material

I love the stuff, very tough, puncture resistant, does not get slick like epdm. I have made three ponds using it. They can make a pond up to 65000 sq ft in size, one piece.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know when they say ppl here they are talking about the rubber roofing type stuff ,it is rough on one side and smooth on the other .I have some a roofer gave me and I use it on my one waterfall

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks addy! I'm gonna do some checking around here and see who might have some. Roofing you say sissy, I'll check and see about that one.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
addy, which thickness did you use? the ppl 24 seems like a very good price, and reading the FAQS on it, it just says will not last as long in direct sunlight as the PPL36 or PPL45

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks addy! I'm gonna do some checking around here and see who might have some. Roofing you say sissy, I'll check and see about that one.

I have some of the roofing material, it is very similar to epdm, at least the stuff I have that a roofer gave me. The bend tarp and liner ppl is totally different. Light weight, not thick like the epdm, but very tough and puncture resistant.

I know when they say ppl here they are talking about the rubber roofing type stuff ,it is rough on one side and smooth on the other .I have some a roofer gave me and I use it on my one waterfall

It is rough on both sides sissy, not rubber type roofing material at all.

addy, which thickness did you use? the ppl 24 seems like a very good price, and reading the FAQS on it, it just says will not last as long in direct sunlight as the PPL36 or PPL45

My arizona pond (in ground for around 6 years) I used ppl 24, my other smaller arizona pond, which has been running for around 18 years I used the ppl 24, according to the guy that bought that house (a friend) it is still doing well.

Here in Maryland I used the ppl36 mainly due to the amount of rock we have in our soil. I was digging in the top stream pond yesterday, changing it slightly since we built the deck pond. I had the liner folded back, digging in a small awkward area, that liner took a full hit from the shovel, with my weight behind it, it is still intact.

I love the fact it does not get slick like the epdm you can walk in the pond without the walking on ice feeling.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
.My arizona pond (in ground for around 6 years) I used ppl 24, my other smaller arizona pond, which has been running for around 18 years I used the ppl 24, according to the guy that bought that house (a friend) it is still doing well.

Here in Maryland I used the ppl36 mainly due to the amount of rock we have in our soil. I was digging in the top stream pond yesterday, changing it slightly since we built the deck pond. I had the liner folded back, digging in a small awkward area, that liner took a full hit from the shovel, with my weight behind it, it is still intact.

I love the fact it does not get slick like the epdm you can walk in the pond without the walking on ice feeling.

Awesome I think thats what i'll order here in the next few months before spring. I was planning on ordering a 20x25 liner, and unless i see a great deal before then, thats one of the best prices ive seen.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to work folds a little more than the epdm. I found make your fold, walk on it and it creases and holds that fold (most of the time lol) If I ever made another pond it would be ppl. My first two ponds were epdm and my deck pond here is epdm (ran out of ppl, just picked up a small piece from lowes) That epdm gets so slick.

They will send you a sample so you can see what it feels like, if you ask. I had a sample sent before I used it the first time.

http://www.btlliners.com/viewpage.php?pID=53 right had side of the page.

Ask a Question