Should I clean a new secondhand filter or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Undoubtedly this has been asked and answered before but I could not immediately find the info, so apologies...

I have a small garden pond with healthy goldfish and shubunkin. I have an all-in -ne pump/filter/fountain which I clean every 3 to 4 weeks.

I have just bought a large external filter which is full of wet filter media.

If you were me would you throw away the old filters and clean the filter box or use it as is with presumably live bacteria in it.

Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well... I guess it depends. Do you know the source well enough to trust that it came from a healthy pond? I think to be safe, I'd just start over from scratch to be honest. Really not worth the chance that you'll introduce something into your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1607020650853.gif
@Bobfish
I'd clean the filter out and start over as @Lisak1 advised. You can use some of your other 3 in one filter gunk to establish good bacteria in the new one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well... I guess it depends. Do you know the source well enough to trust that it came from a healthy pond? I think to be safe, I'd just start over from scratch to be honest. Really not worth the chance that you'll introduce something into your pond.
I think the OP means; 'can I use my old filter pads in my new filter', to which I say YES! Easy way to jump start your system, especially if the old filter material is still wet/alive. If it's dried or you've left the old filter unused for a day or so, probably not much benefit.

If this second new filter was bought second hand, then I'd just throw out/wash the new filter material and not take a chance.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I think the OP means; 'can I use my old filter pads in my new filter', to which I say YES! Easy way to jump start your system, especially if the old filter material is still wet/alive. If it's dried or you've left the old filter unused for a day or so, probably not much benefit.

If this second new filter was bought second hand, then I'd just throw out/wash the new filter material and not take a chance.
well said, use the bacteria if you know where it came from and it is good.

But if you just hopped on craigslist and bought it from some rando, start over, cause there is probably a reason they were selling it in the first place.

Ask a Question