Should I discontinue my aerator/diffuser over next two winter months and put in my green deicer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you post the name of the solar backup system? I am super paranoid about getting my fish through the winter with an 18" pond in zone 5b. I want backup plans for my backup plans! Lol
Wow, only 18 inches. That would make me nervous. Clearly I'm not the expert but I thought ponds had to be minimum 30 inches in zone 5-6?

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, only 18 inches. That would make me nervous. Clearly I'm not the expert but I thought ponds had to be minimum 30 inches in zone 5-6?
no, there's many that are 2' or less. A lot depends on how long sub-freezing temps occur. As you know in Mich, it varies a lot. I have one customer with an 18" deep pond and I don't think he even puts in an aerator. That said, he's lost more fish than I've berated him for, though mainly via the heron. The pond would have to freeze all the way down to truly kill the fish though your loss rate is going up with the ice thickness. The main idea is to have a way for any toxic gas buildup to be released. Fish kills mainly occur in ponds where ice and snow-overs last too long. The bio decay cycle uses up more oxygen than many realize, hence keeping your pond as debris-free as you can is a good idea, esp for those ponds that ice over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
no, there's many that are 2' or less. A lot depends on how long sub-freezing temps occur. As you know in Mich, it varies a lot. I have one customer with an 18" deep pond and I don't think he even puts in an aerator. That said, he's lost more fish than I've berated him for, though mainly via the heron. The pond would have to freeze all the way down to truly kill the fish though your loss rate is going up with the ice thickness. The main idea is to have a way for any toxic gas buildup to be released. Fish kills mainly occur in ponds where ice and snow-overs last too long. The bio decay cycle uses up more oxygen than many realize, hence keeping your pond as debris-free as you can is a good idea, esp for those ponds that ice over.
Good to know. My son's karate senseis have a big koi pond and it is 5 ft at the deepest and they even told me that our pond at 40-42inches at its deep area was not deep enough! All our fish survived last winter (our first winter with them) so knock on wood I'm not changing anything I did for this year. Had the aerator running all winter but on a higher shelf not in the deep area.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, only 18 inches. That would make me nervous. Clearly I'm not the expert but I thought ponds had to be minimum 30 inches in zone 5-6
I now know it's a less-than-ideal situation. However all my research said an 18 inch minimum for over wintering fish in a pond. I even the breeder. I have nowhere to put the fish inside for the winter. Next year we have plans the build a 15 by 20 4ft deep pond. Just gotta get through this winter.

Ask a Question