Should I Even Attempt This - Pregnant Goldfish

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a complete newbie so I don't know if I should even attempt this.....

I have a VERY pregnant female goldfish in my pond - she looks like she swallowed a golfball. I've been searching goldfish breeding articles for info on what to do so that all the fry don't get eaten. Basically it seems like I have to separate the pregnant fish and put her with a male. After the eggs are layed the male will fertilize and then I have to remove the parents.

I can't seem to find an explanation about how to know when to remove the parents. Am I supposed to sit by the holding tank day and nite and watch the male and female?

Should I even attempt this? Are there any good articles on this topic that are foolproof and simplified for newbies?
thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can do it that way, i am sure you'll get them out before they eat them all. or you can put a artificial spawning matt in the pond till they mate like a string mop head or an old tee shirt cut into strips and knotted at one end when the spawn is over just remove the spawn matt to another container . either way make sure you have a air pump and stone for the tank or whatever you use for the fry.

Reaction score
How quickly will the parents and other pond fish eat the eggs off the spawning mop? Is it the type of situation where you might come home from work, check the spawning mop, but all the eggs have already been eaten?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the eating rate varies, but the spawn once it starts can go for hours or even days, it can start stop then start again, there is no telling shes liable to spread eggs all over.the ones in the spawn matts have the best chance at making it.

Reaction score
thanks Koiguy! I made a makeshift spawning mop (hoping hubby won't mind that I cut up his fancy microfiber rags...) If I can actually salvage some eggs - I'll send you a cigar.

Reaction score
One more question- how will I know there are eggs on the spawning mat - will they be visible? What should I look for? Thanks .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Methylene Blue is safer. Malachite green may burn your eggs. I consulted another breeder on this recently while looking for the MG. I was talked into the MB instead. My yield this year was 10 times the hatch of last season. Also, you want to use only 1/2 the dose for eggs. I bought 2 different brands and only one had this warning.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
elizabeths said:
One more question- how will I know there are eggs on the spawning mat - will they be visible? What should I look for? Thanks .

The eggs look like tapioca. It is impossible to miss them. If you have to look hard for them, then there are no eggs.

Look at this photo of eggs on a water hyacinth I am holding.

Attachments

• Eggs 500.jpg
    Eggs 500.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,897

Ask a Question