Should I intervene?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Hyacinth are literally taking over! They have suffocated a few plants (dead) and are now working their way to jumping the wall.
We still have at least 3 (counting August) months left in the growing season, should I remove some of them or leave things alone?
waterplant.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think they will take over everything if you let them. I've heard of people having to weed them out by the buckets full before. Poor me tho I have never been able to get them to grow well in my pond so I gave up on them. Lucky you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine were like that last year but this year not so great and I keep giving them away so that helps with keeping them down

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will remove some right away!...very sad to dispose of healthy plants, but my Canna Lily is getting strangled
Thank you ladies for your fast input!
grouphug5.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've heard the hippos in the zoo love them - got any zoos nearby?

It is hard to toss them when they look so good, but it's that or they move into the house at this point!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately the nearest zoo is hours away and anyway I'm sure regulations prohibits people from bringing in food for the animals.
This are the times I think i'd be nice to know other pond keepers in the area...lol perhaps I should start my own private club

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always taken over growth back to my suppliers. use it as a good will and bargaining chip. bring in two trash bags to the local pet store or pond supplier if they are cleaned out you can work out a deal on discounted food or something. I just removed 3 - 55 gallon rubber maid trash cans full and I mean full of hyacinth and lettuce. and I am ready to pull out more only a week latter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, if you can't go to the hippos, how about bringing the hippos to you! haha!

https://californiawaterblog.com/201...ployed-to-mow-down-waterweeds-clogging-delta/
Oh my you weren't kidding!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have always taken over growth back to my suppliers. use it as a good will and bargaining chip. bring in two trash bags to the local pet store or pond supplier if they are cleaned out you can work out a deal on discounted food or something. I just removed 3 - 55 gallon rubber maid trash cans full and I mean full of hyacinth and lettuce. and I am ready to pull out more only a week latter.
I thought of asking the store where I go if they wanted free Hyacinth, but the owner is not there on Sunday. These plants grew over 3' tall, I doubt they would have wanted them
I always feel bad throwing the excess plants out (especially when they look nice and healthy)

I usually end up moving them to other containers/planters so I can enjoy them until the season is over.
They could have gone in the new pond, but it's not finished. Amazing how fast they grew and took over, I started out with 3 little guys

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
heck a piece of plastic on the ground with a little water will keep them alive short term anyways

Ask a Question