Should I intervene?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you want, you can advertise on Craigslist - you can give them away for free or get some money for them. I just bought some for $1 each. Cheaper than at the pond store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Normally I have the same problem. Ever expanding hyacinth and water lettuce. But this year they are struggling for some reason. All my lettuce got brown and died. They just never took. The hyacinth is growing, but really slow. Most years I'm netting them out because they completely cover the surface of the pond.
I don't know if it's the weather, the plants themselves or the koi eating their roots. I recently bought some of those floating nets to protect the roots and give them a chance to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Don't feel bad about tossing away some hyacinth....our state government here spends tens of millions of dollars every year dealing with the acres and acres of hyacinth that clogs up the delta. I have personally witnessed it get tangled up in boat propellers multiple times, while fishing in my kayak.
The stuff stops looking so pretty when it won't go away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Normally I have the same problem. Ever expanding hyacinth and water lettuce. But this year they are struggling for some reason. All my lettuce got brown and died. They just never took. The hyacinth is growing, but really slow. Most years I'm netting them out because they completely cover the surface of the pond.
I don't know if it's the weather, the plants themselves or the koi eating their roots. I recently bought some of those floating nets to protect the roots and give them a chance to grow.

Hyacinth will die off if the weather gets cold enough. A good frost will do it.

Ask a Question