Should I move my platies into heavily planted guppy pond to control hair algae?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Daytona FL so my weather is quite mild. I have a 35 gallon heavily planted pond with a solar fountain and a 100 gallon per hour spouter, so it is quite circulated. I have a small group of fancy guppies and fry in the pond but the dragonfly nymphs are keeping the population low. I also have a couple of tadpoles. I have a lot of hair algae in certain spots that get a lot of sun. I know this algae is good food for some fish. I have 2 platies in another 20 gallon circulated pond next to the other and this 20 gallon pond only has anacharis and ludwiga repens, and I plan on keeping it planted with these two plants. Would it be a good idea to move my platies into my heavily planted pond in with my guppies? Would the platies help control the hair algae? Would they stress out my guppies?

If I move my platies out of the 20 gallon pond, I will put guppies into that pond instead.

Here is a video of the heavily planted pond just before I installed the spouter:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the kind reply, I hope the other pond will eventually look as good :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very pretty pond! Are you sure it's only 35 gallons? It looks bigger than that.

I know nothing of platys and guppies, so no help there. I guess my answer would be - it's your pond, move 'em if you want! Much of what we do in ponding comes down to experimentation anyway, so if you can't think of any harm that will come from it, go ahead and try! Although I would say the algae is probably only bothering you - the fish don't mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
So many different plants, IDK you have lilies, lotus, bacopa monnieri ,
Duckweed etc.

Larger plants are good, I guess atleast it gives space for air to diffuse in for fish to breathe. Smaller ones might be invasive.

If I have guppies, I wouldn't mix them with mollies or platies.

I read somewhere that they can breed and offspring might be sterile.

If that's not a problem for you, the answer is yes, you can keep them together, they both are live bearer, they do well in school(large groups)

Ask a Question