should I remove the rocks from the bottom of my pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to know what your thoughts are about having rocks on the bottom of a pond. I currently have 3/4" to 1" stones on the bottom of mine, but due to continuing issues with murky water, I was wondering if it would be better if I removed them on the lower/deep level for easier cleaning????? I do have small and medium rocks on one of the tiers, which I can easily get to and clean with my hose, but the middle is too far of a stretch. What are your thoughts?
PS. I did read a post about using quilting batting in a laundry basket, under the waterfall, to clean/clear up the water. I plan on doing that this weekend.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to have rocks(arizona pond), love the look of rocks, they disappear as the muck builds up. Also the string algae grew like trees out of the muck trapped in the rocks. I removed them there and this pond has none. To me a lot easier to net and clean (I don't have a bottom drain)

The only rocks that were there are now pulled out, the heron knocked them in ... it was a few still were a nuisance to work around. I do have rocks around two edges of my pond, slightly underwater like an edging, maybe 2 inches of water around the rocks.

waterbug likes mortared rocks, but to me I like a naked liner bottom, with algae growth, dirt time, it looks like a natural pond bottom not a black liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I too have no rocks on the bottom as it really is a lot easier for me to just scoop out any build up of gunk w/ a net that way. Whatever makes it easier on me and helps the fishes then I'm all for it!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THAT DEBATE IS GOING TO GO ON FOR EVER... i agree ...no stones on the floor to accumulate debris, fecal matter, and other organics around and under. a few large rocks as decoration is all for me. i dont believe that "excessive debris is bad" is a myth. if not just for aresthetics and water clarity, its stirred up easily and looks like crap if you ask me. and comparing a lined pond to a mud bottomed narural pond is like comparing apples and oranges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When Graceful cattails popped out of its pot and rooted into the pebbles and stones on the bottom of this pond, look forward to swinging an axe to divide it... Assuming you can lift 200-300 lbs from two foot deep

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

lifting_cattails7.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Holy cattails Andy! Get ready to get some big muscles outta swingin that axe on those mama's!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have only about 6 -8 large rocks in the bottom of my pond only to keep the liner from coming up during heavy periods of rain, as I have clay soil and it holds water as well as my liner does.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I keep a few Large Rock outcrops in my ponds , for a fish hang out

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding. It looks like I might be going for a swim to remove all my small rocks. I'll just leave my 2 koi castles for them to hide out in. Hmm, I may have to wait until the water warms up. We've had pretty cool temperatures the past 2 days and my pond is now 46 degrees.bbbrrrrr!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Burr this tender body likes water in the 80 range. I put on waders when it is that cold. Was out in the water the other day with just sandals one but just my legs. Pulling the lilies to work on them. Upper body never touched the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No way I would go in my water to retrieve anything w/ the temps of our water right now............brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Happy_StPat_3.gif

dancin_lepro.gif
dancin_lepro.gif
dancin_lepro.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States