should I remove the rocks from the bottom of my pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I'm sure mine would too but I think he might do it if I cried :LOL:

violinpaddy.gif

My sweetie would do anything for me if I cried. Cause I never cry unless it is really serious.

Reaction score
jeez and i thaught you american ladies where tough as leather ! lol
but back onto topic, i only have a few medium sized rocks for decoration and to help keep pots in place, did have some small stones in but after taking some advice off here i took them out ages ago !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used an old cat litter pan top for a koi and fish hide spot .They work great and they have a handle on the top to pull them out .I just used a rock weight i drilled a hole in and wired it to the cat pan top and the bottom i used for plants .

Reaction score
When I built my pond last summer I was going to leave the bottom bare but my husband talked me into putting rocks on the bottom for looks. It did look good and it still does. I used flat oblong rocks that were about 5 to 7 or 8 inches long. But as the pine needles began to fall to the bottom of the pond it took longer to get them out due to the rocks. So I decided this spring when the pond warms up I will take them out and put a couple larger rocks in to put my water lilies on. I built a fish cave using a 5 gallon bucket that I put on its side. I used the same thin rocks to disguise it that I used on the bottom of my pond. Don't know if they use it but it works well to put my one water lilly on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like rocks, how they look, but hate cleaning around them. So none for me. They do collect the junk, make it harder to net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm glad I took everyone's advise last year, have no rocks on bottom of first pond and none in my second pond just completed. I can't imagine not being able to run my net on the bottom to scoop out the gunk that accumulates. But, some others love the look of their rocks, too. To each his own. My sister in AZ has a really expensive vacuum that she used to muck her bottom out with and I suppose if a person had something to suck out the muck every month or so, that might work with rocks on the bottom. Other than that, I'd say no way to rocks on bottom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh gosh his money yes his ,personality no,and guessing by what i have heard over the years not sure he likes women

Reaction score
I just took all my rock off the bottom of my pond after having it in for 4 years. I did not have any pond issues but draining my pond every year to clean it wasn't good for the fish so I am hoping this will make it way easier to clean. Rocks were all black and I just kept thinking wow this can not be good for these fish lol...Found 2 bullfrogs after they decided it would be smart to let me catch them he he.

Ask a Question