Should we change the name 'bog filter' to something else, and then promote it? Poll and discussion.

should we change the name and promote an alternative to 'bog filter'

• yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • unconcerned

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
as per the title; poll to decide if we think this should be done, then discussion (or even at the same time) of what the new name should be. Obviously, any no votes means 'keep it as 'bog filter'' and 'yes' means we'll find an alt, while unconcerned is like a 'no' vote re any further effort.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only problem is……WE aren’t the ones who gave it that name. So, if we change it on here, would that mean we need to change it across GOOGLE et al?

Wetlands filter is probably a better, descriptive name. I have seen eco-filter used.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm not voting till someone volunteers to come and build me one whatever it's called! And you can't just volunteer and then not show up..........................I know how some of your minds work in here :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not voting till someone volunteers to come and build me one whatever it's called! And you can't just volunteer and then not show up..........................I know how some of your minds work in here :smuggrin:
moi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The only problem is……WE aren’t the ones who gave it that name. So, if we change it on here, would that mean we need to change it across GOOGLE et al?

Wetlands filter is probably a better, descriptive name. I have seen eco-filter used.
that IS the idea, Mmathis; and wouldn't it be insane if we actually DID this? Consider how many 'viral' ideas/thoughts/words have gotten promoted in just the past 2 years alone via social media!! I think we'd have a decent chance, although I'll admit right here and now, I'm NOT into ANY social media. The hallowed halls of GPF is the ONLY place I'm typin' anything, let alone pond culture changes, so it would be up to whomever is 'on board' with this poll/idea, to begin it and promote it. That's why I did the poll; IS there any real interest in teaching others so the whole 'bog filter' idea is normalized and we don't get such dirty looks from others when we casually mention our pond success? Imagine the uproar on FB groups should you and others start proselytizing! Guess it depends on how much we want this to happen. Again, hence the poll!

I think a huge part of this is to get the younger members who are actually ON all the social media, to pick up this banner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
that IS the idea, Mmathis; and wouldn't it be insane if we actually DID this? Consider how many 'viral' ideas/thoughts/words have gotten promoted in just the past 2 years alone via social media!! I think we'd have a decent chance, although I'll admit right here and now, I'm NOT into ANY social media. The hallowed halls of GPF is the ONLY place I'm typin' anything, let alone pond culture changes, so it would be up to whomever is 'on board' with this poll/idea, to begin it and promote it. That's why I did the poll; IS there any real interest in teaching others so the whole 'bog filter' idea is normalized and we don't get such dirty looks from others when we casually mention our pond success? Imagine the uproar on FB groups should you and others start proselytizing! Guess it depends on how much we want this to happen. Again, hence the poll!

I think a huge part of this is to get the younger members who are actually ON all the social media, to pick up this banner.
B.S is off his meds, it's past 2:30 and his lid is flippen again
1641249555622.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your clock is off it's wonk, it's already going on 4 pm here and you are ahead of us!
1641253183273.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We could change the thread in construction title to bog filter/wetland up flow filter/ eco filter then any of those searches would hit on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We could change the thread in construction title to bog filter/wetland up flow filter/ eco filter then any of those searches would hit on it.
I would definitely at least do something like that as your thread is the one most referenced. And, it's UPFLOW wetland filter. See? Already confusion. That's why I was hoping maybe we'd brainstorm and come up with something EASY and short. But, not enough interest, I deem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Imo are just synonyms and are all the same and all bring to same conclusion...btw when i was searchin on net with "bog" will come out a lot of useful things...

And try make change a word to another and then try to convince all the ponds' community is a bit too much...

By our side we can promote it, in whatever name you want call, here on forum, and i ll keep call it bog; 3 letters, easy.(i don't use FB anymore or other social)

I use my time to play my life, not to share with whole world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Imo are just synonyms and are all the same and all bring to same conclusion...btw when i was searchin on net with "bog" will come out a lot of useful things...

And try make change a word to another and then try to convince all the ponds' community is a bit too much...

By our side we can promote it, in whatever name you want call, here on forum, and i ll keep call it bog; 3 letters, easy.(i don't use FB anymore or other social)

I use my time to play my life, not to share with whole world.
ha; it's going to be pretty funny someday when peeps take their kids out to 'nature' and see a REAL bog. Whatcha think the parents will tell there kids when asked; 'where are the pipes, ma? I don't see any pea gravel, pa!'

And NOW-a-days, it seems REAL easy for one group to completely change the meaning/definition of a word to suit their agenda. Figured it was worth bringing up, at least!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will change the title to the thread, at least a different search will find it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our now departed member Meyer Jordan used to refer to them as "constructed up flow wetland filters". But that's a mouthful! They really aren't bogs in the true sense, as in a bog the water flows through rather than up from the bottom.

Ask a Question