SHOWING FISH (GOLDFISH) -- AS IN, "FISH SHOWS"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How many of you have ever participated in a FISH SHOW? Either koi or goldfish, but I'm mostly interested to hear about showing a GOLDFISH.

I've been invited to participate in a show in the spring, and I'm ACTUALLY CONSIDERING IT, can you believe -- looking for advice and moral support! Too many questions that I haven't even thought of yet........... ;)

1. What's it like? What goes on? How do you transport your fish? How are they physically "shown?" What type/size container are they shown in, and is that [the container] something the participant supplies? What about air & filtration needs? What do you do to keep your fish happy and healthy? How is their water supplied, or do you bring your own? [obviously newbie questions, sorry!]
I will have an approx. 4-5 hour drive, plus an overnight before the actual show, plus the drive home.

2. How do you choose the RIGHT fish to show? What CHARACTERISTICS do you look for that make a fish stand out as special? OR what do you want to AVOID?
I mostly have some comets, a few Shubies, 2 Wakin, a few Watonai, a few fantails, and a few mutts. What I've read about Shubies says that the "blue" coloration is desirable, but the ones I've chosen have tri-colors, 'cause that's what I like.

It's all for fun, but I do at least want to look like I half-way know what I'm doing :)

(So far about the only HELPFUL advice I've found on the internet is to FAST your fish for a couple of days to reduce the amount of physical waste and ammonia in the water)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Having shown for many years now I can answer some of your questons but not others youd need to ask a shower in the US as the FBAS shows here in the UK are totally differing affairs to your US shows.
Basically what you first need to know are the show standards i'e what the judges expect you to put before them again the FBAS differs so again we can only help out in other ways
However here a link into the US Goldfish Organization I hope it helps :-.

http://americangoldfish.org/about-us/

I will say this straight away though "it is a very long and tiring day /weekend dependant on what type of show .
It involves hours of driving and lots of dedication plus it is also very addictive especially when you win, even with a number og helpers due to our health issues it is still tiring .
First off which fish to take (always have at least two reserve fish you never know if one will damafe itself before the day so it makes good sence to keep a few in reserve .
How to transport your koi/goldfish.
First off your going to need a number of cardboard or Polystyrene boxes you can get them from any koi outlet perhaps even store outlet for a small fee .
Your going to need some large size plastic bags big enough to transport a large goldgish or koi, these you must double bag , koi fins especially on the larger koi have been known to puncture bags
Elastic bands are a must they must be very strong
You'll also need a blaxk bin liner or trasgh bag as you may call them , last but not least an Oxygen source "we hire a bottle but you can buy them".
Very gently using one of those large flat koi nets come up under the fish going to the show m the aim is not to touch the underside of the fish with the net but have it swim gently around , then using a sock net scoop the fish up trasfering it to a part filled bag you only need enough water to just cover your fish no more ,
Then get your oxygen bottle and fill the rest of the bag with oxygen twisting each bag shut fold the top of the bag over then tightly tie the bag so as no oxygen leaks out, last but not least after double bagging place both bags in the bin liner tie that in a loose bow and place this into the container i;e cardboard/polystyrene box .
Next place the box across the axle of your car and repeat until all fish are loaded .
Never place more than one large or medium fish per bag only smaller fish can be safely bagged together ,
When driving to the show dont go mad there should have been preperations mde the day before about the best time to set out but arrive in good time to debench at the show with the help of the benching staff who catergorize your fish into seperate classes ready for the judge to arrive
Debenching is as before but in reverse .
Arriving home first float your fish for 30 minutes before release back into your pond then feet up and relax after a long tiring but fun filled day.

Hope it all helps you

Dave

Ask a Question