shubumkin with oversize pectoral bumps.

Reaction score
hello all, i know pectoral bumps on male fish is normal but one of my fish has really oversize bumps, it has had these since it matured basically, and they have never seemed to cause it any problems, however this year i think they are getting a bit bigger, tho ime not sure may just be my eyes playing tricks on me, are these anything to be concerned about ? i will include a photo, not the best of quality but the best i could get. thanks for any advice..
DSC00778.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen this sort of thing once before but it could be a number of things that are causing this ,
Firstly its most probably an over production of mating tubercules on the leading edges of his pectorals and what he's saying is hi girls look at me I'm a big boy look at my tubercules come have my babies .
Or its something far more sinester in that what we are seeing are papilomas which are a type of tumour that grown on the leading ege of the pectorlas only a qualified fish vet would be able to answer which is which ..
But my money is on the tubercules

Dave

Reaction score
hi dave, thanks for the reply, yes i was jokingly thinking it was the former of your suggestions, hehe. he has had them for 3 years now and never shown any signs of illness etc, always been a healthy and active fish, will try and keep a closer watch on them see if they really are growing or if ime just imagining it !

Ask a Question