Shubunkin bloated but no scale lift

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a beautiful shubi, that has progressively gotten rounder each breeding season and now she looks about to pop. She eats and swims fine and has no scale lift. I have seen the males pounding her to push the eggs out, so I am at a loss on this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Poor girl , I always worry when the spawning gets rough. Sounds like you're concerned about her, but don't see signs of pine coning......are you worried she's egg bound?

Reaction score
Country
United States
She was (note the past tense, we euthanized this morning) and must have been egg bound from her maturity about 5 years ago. We did open her up after gently letting her go to sleep and found a lot of fluid and different stages of petrified eggs and new ones from this year. She must have been so uncomfortable. BTW her scales were beginning to slough off, but still did not pine cone, and she never swam odd except for a waddle due to the size. She was black with dark orange and long flowing fins, a real beauty...

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
There she is at the bottom, this was taken last year with some bloat already, Kind of hard to see with her coloring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Female goldfish really suffer during spawning. My losses are almost always females.

What are those round multicolored lilpad looking plants you have on the right of the screen? Never seen them before. I think I would like to get some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 92579 There she is at the bottom, this was taken last year with some bloat already, Kind of hard to see with her coloring.
It could have been one of a number of issues that your shubunkin may or may not have had from being egbound, or perhaps having dropsy [viral or bacterial] , to suffering from a slow growing tumor .
I would normally suggest you do an autopsy to find the cause of death and at least put your mind at rest as to th cause of death .

Dave

Ask a Question