Shubunkin group behavior

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I have prepared a clip of my shubunkin, new in the pond where I keep common carp.
The close-group behavior I could observed is described in it, and I have to say, it absolutely surprised me.
It might have to do with group survival instincts and could be something to be considered when adding shubies to a consolidated group. I could be tough for the new ones.

Is it normal ?
Thanks for any comments or experiences, of how to do in these cases

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dunno. I watched the video & didn't see any abnormal fish behavior. Could you be anthropomorphizing just a bit? I mean, all fish have their own individual & unique personalities. Some tend to hang out more in the group, others more individually. You might not want to read more into their actions than what is there. Just my opinion.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. I am guessing that in a few weeks the behavior will be more similar and you will no longer know "Missing" other than by color pattern.

It seems to me that in my pond, certain fish are together more often than others, as if they do have closer friends.

But I am biased by the small percentage of time I am watching my pond versus all of the unobserved hours they are out there doing what I do not see.

And yes I anthropomorphize my fish all the time !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks pretty normal to me too. Maybe some mating behavior? Goldfish don’t really “school” like some other species. Your fish are lovely!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I dunno. I watched the video & didn't see any abnormal fish behavior. Could you be anthropomorphizing just a bit? I mean, all fish have their own individual & unique personalities. Some tend to hang out more in the group, others more individually. You might not want to read more into their actions than what is there. Just my opinion.....
Hi BKH
Thanks for your kind comment and point of view.
I was maybe kind of shocked because I expected exactly the oposite.
The "outsider" shuby pals with wild carp...at least not chased around.
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Interesting. I am guessing that in a few weeks the behavior will be more similar and you will no longer know "Missing" other than by color pattern.

It seems to me that in my pond, certain fish are together more often than others, as if they do have closer friends.

But I am biased by the small percentage of time I am watching my pond versus all of the unobserved hours they are out there doing what I do not see.

And yes I anthropomorphize my fish all the time !
Hi Laaf
I had heard shubies are gregarious, mostly going in pairs or groups, and was surprised with this situation.
Any way it is little what one can do other than keep observing how it evolves in the coming days/weeks.
The tail looks a bit damaged already...will see
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Looks pretty normal to me too. Maybe some mating behavior? Goldfish don’t really “school” like some other species. Your fish are lovely!
Hi Mgessert
I am very happy with these shubies, nothing against. I knew they are hyperactive and could look like permanently in fight, still, I expected something like HEY, SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN ! WELCOME BACK ! and it was sort of the oposite.
Whatever I will keep watching.
Thanks a lot !

Ask a Question