Shubunkin has a lump, tumor, or growth—please verify.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
I searched previous posts and found the mention of Myxolobus, Myxosporida or Nodular disease; I'm hoping this lump is NOT this... :oops::oops:

My shubunkin has had this lump for several months; during that time it grew from the small lump I first noticed into this large bump almost 1/4" diam. I hope you can see from the pictures how thick it is, almost 1/8". She has showed no other signs of illness and all three shubs in this 40-gal. pond have been thriving.

Thoughts? I may also try to find a veterinarian nearby that specializes in fish.
DF9CEDCA-3AAF-440D-94EA-D4778EFCBA12_1_201_a.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do not know what it is. But it doesn't look like the things you were concerned about. It doesn't look inflamed or diseased. It just looks like a weird bump. My guess would be tumor, probably benign. That's really just a guess, though.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
is the fish acting normal?

do you do water changes in the pond?

have you tested the water?

if all of these are a yes, and the water tests have come back as good, then you should be fine, and it looks like nothing to worry about :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It could be carp pox. Here is one link, but if you Google it, you’ll find more info. This article is referencing koi, but goldfish can get it as well. I have one fish now with it. While it is contagious, and unattractive, it’s not fatal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm guessing just a fatty lump or tumor or maybe even carp pox. But it is a little concerning that you have three shubunkins in 40 gallons. While they start out small, they do grow to be 6 or 8 inches long. Small container ponds can be difficult to keep in balance as fish grow. Just something to think about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
is the fish acting normal? Yes—she's normal and thriving other than this.

do you do water changes in the pond? I haven't done a complete change in several months; I typically just add more conditioned water as necessary

have you tested the water? I've never tested the water. I use a conditioner to dechlorinate and treat any water added to the pond.

if all of these are a yes, and the water tests have come back as good, then you should be fine, and it looks like nothing to worry about :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Thank you, Lisak1! I am currently pondering how I can fit a 50-ish gallon trough in this same location... Maybe it's just dumb luck but the only thing I do in terms of water is to use a dechlorinating treatment. Never tested the balance, so it might be time to look for...test kits?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Mickowitz you'll find that many here aren't proponents of regular water changes in the pond. They used to be SOP for pond care, but as the hobby grows, more people find that leaving a well balanced pond alone works better for them.

One exception is a dedicated koi pond - a pond that is strictly water and fish, and usually more fish than would be recommended for a garden pond. These ponds are heavily filtered and water changes are part of the regimen.

The other exception might be the small container pond. I have one myself, and like you, don't really do "water changes". From time to time, I'll dunk my watering can in and take out 6 or 8 gallons to water some of my pots in the yard and then fill it up with fresh water. Also when we get a heavy rain, my container has a small area at the back where the power cords exit the container where the water can overflow, so I get a small water change that way, too.

And to be honest, I stopped testing my water after the first year with the pond. Nothing ever changed, so it seemed like a waste of time. And I've never tested the container pond. We always put a few of the small fish in it for the summer and then send them back to the big pond for the winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Thanks again, Lisak1! I've seen water changing referenced quite a bit through the years, so it's good to hear a different point of view from someone with a habitat similar to mine.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a comet with 2 very large tumors but is otherwise healthy. Has had them for years. In the picture you fish looks a little on the fat side. In a small container I would caution about over feeding. If it isn’t from over feeding keep an eye on her as it may be an early sign of a bacterial infection.

Ask a Question