Shubunkin ready for coexistence with my carp?

Reaction score
Country
Peru
It is the million question now!
I have 7 shubunkin in a separate portion of the pond, by means of a glass pane. They are growing very fast, almost 3 inch now, and the space available is slowly becoming too small. See pics below pls.
Since a week, I am feeding them the same as the carp in the pond (they like it, sofar it was just chips), hoping they will try to get their portion along with the other larger companions :rolleyes:. The largest carp is about 10 inch.
My intention sofar is to wait until the end of the month. I will open the glass pane just enough for them to pass out and back "home" in case of necessity.
They are very quick and good at hiding, so my bet is they are going to make it through :unsure:.
Unless your more experienced opinions recommend to wait...
Thanks as always!!

Attachments

• peces_160423_01.JPG
    peces_160423_01.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 23
  • peces_160423_02.JPG
    peces_160423_02.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 24
  • peces_160423_05.JPG
    peces_160423_05.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 25
  • peces_160423_08.JPG
    peces_160423_08.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 25
  • peces_160423_09.JPG
    peces_160423_09.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 24
  • peces_160423_07.JPG
    peces_160423_07.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 22

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There may be a bit of chasing going on due to it being Spring and the start of mating season. Good you have given them a place to go in case they need it. Those chases can really wear out the females!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
There may be a bit of chasing going on due to it being Spring and the start of mating season. Good you have given them a place to go in case they need it. Those chases can really wear out the females!
Thanks j.w!
Here we are entering Fall and the chasing could mostly be due to little food...:)
And it is not normally the case, thanks God. I will specially take care for the carp to be happy and in good mood... with the feeding, they are normally peaceful guys.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
That sounds like a good plan. They are so pretty!
It will be their own choice to leave or to stay...and if to came back at all.
Shubunkin are hyper active and I bet they will be more than happy for the play ground space in the pond :), and above all they will continue growing in better conditions.
Sorry for the bad quality pictures, but these guys are difficult for portrait shots !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
both fish are not aggressive to any fish

Reaction score
Country
Peru
both fish are not aggressive to any fish
I have to confess
The shubunkin were originally 8! about 6 weeks ago, pretty small in the small portion of the pond waiting to get a size that don't fit in the carp mouth. Now for the last 4 weeks 1 was missing. No idea why and I just left it as a "fact of pond life" :) .
YESTERDAY during the afternoon feeding I could see the one missing, guess where, in the pond darting around like hell ! waiting for the food and most impressive, at least 1/2" larger than the other.
I knew shubunkins are very good at hiding, but not that good ! . Now I am going to release the other ones asap to add the shubunkin gang to the pond :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the comments!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Very nice view of the shubunkin
Today in the morning I just removed the glass pane which was separating them from the main pond, and guess, couple of minutes later they were aligned side by side along the former position of the glass stearing out into the new world, taking time to decide what to do...sweet!!
A present of mother nature

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is the million question now!
I have 7 shubunkin in a separate portion of the pond, by means of a glass pane. They are growing very fast, almost 3 inch now, and the space available is slowly becoming too small. See pics below pls.
Since a week, I am feeding them the same as the carp in the pond (they like it, sofar it was just chips), hoping they will try to get their portion along with the other larger companions :rolleyes:. The largest carp is about 10 inch.
My intention sofar is to wait until the end of the month. I will open the glass pane just enough for them to pass out and back "home" in case of necessity.
They are very quick and good at hiding, so my bet is they are going to make it through :unsure:.
Unless your more experienced opinions recommend to wait...
Thanks as always!!
As long as everyone is well fed I bet they’ll be ok

Reaction score
Country
Peru
As long as everyone is well fed I bet they’ll be ok
Thanks Willragan !
Big dilema, to feed or not to feed, hungry fish is a healthy fish, etc.
My concerns sofar were the small shubunkin, but in the last couple of weeks they are growing so fast 👌 that it is not the carp eating shubunkin any more, it is the hungry shubunkin. We are slowly entering winter (outside night temps around 5°C) and I have to control my self with feeding...
Thanks again

Ask a Question