Shubunkin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Newbi to aquariums
Just rescued this fish from a friend.
Think it is a shubunkin?
Was in 60l tank now in 180l with external filter.
If I was to add another would it be best for a smaller shubunkin or one the same size?
Is the 180l big enough for 2?

Thanks in advance for any help

Pete

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh he sure is pretty .Looks golden color ,sparkly
Thought it was a shubunkin because of the metalic scales but shubunkins have black I believe? Been looking on web & could a calico comet but another site says its same as a shubunkin? Not that it matters it looks healthy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That is definitely a shubunkin and I wouldn't be surprised if the colors become more rich with excellent water quality and care. I bought two from PetCo that were almost golden/dark yellow in color and both are now a deep orange/red color and a very deep black since they've been in my pond.

180 Liters is about 47.5 gallons which should be plenty big enough for two healthy shubunkins but I wouldn't push it with three.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Strange because it has long fins and tail like a butterfly koi .Could be a mixture .I have a few that are butterfly koi mixed with fancytails and goldfish .Just mutts be still pretty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is definitely a shubunkin and I wouldn't be surprised if the colors become more rich with excellent water quality and care. I bought two from PetCo that were almost golden/dark yellow in color and both are now a deep orange/red color and a very deep black since they've been in my pond.

180 Liters is about 47.5 gallons which should be plenty big enough for two healthy shubunkins but I wouldn't push it with three.
Thanks. I was told that its about 5 yrs old, didn't realise they can change colour later in life?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All fish can change color ,mine do a few changes during the change in water temperature

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wouldn't call it a color change necessarily but more of a color enhancement, if that makes sense? Goldfish can get washed out and the colors can look faded if the water quality or food quality is not the best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Strange because it has long fins and tail like a butterfly koi .Could be a mixture .I have a few that are butterfly koi mixed with fancytails and goldfish .Just mutts be still pretty
My Shbunkins are both long fins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It’s Shubunkin. I had a good 40 in my pond for 15 yrs. they get metallic and range in colors. Mine had beautiful long tails. We’re decent in size as well. They bred with my koi one year which was insane to me. I ended up with black metallic fish. They were gorgeous. Just rarely seen lol

Ask a Question