Shubunkins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I bought three shubunkins for my pond. They are about three and a half inches long. One keeps chasing the same fish all the time....They are too young to spawn aren't they? What else can cause this behavior? I have never had these before....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought three shubunkins for my pond. They are about three and a half inches long. One keeps chasing the same fish all the time....They are too young to spawn aren't they? What else can cause this behavior? I have never had these before....
GB is probably right but I'd still pay attention to how long etc this goes on and if the chasee ever gets a break. Spawning time can be brutal but I tend to agree that the fish seem young to be doing this. And it doesn't seem the right season for this (unless you're in a warm area? hmm, Florida? Well, maybe spawning IS happening!). Sometimes, the only solutioin is to ADD more fish so one doesn't get chased but others will too, you know, sort of a too many choices to just choose one. As long as the chasee still eats and doesn't ALWAYS hide, just watch and wait. Prithee, hie thee to thoust Pisces shoppe and buy thee more! heh, bet you never thought we'd EVER prod a ponder to get MORE fish, didcha!

Alternately, you can add a lot more plants (uw types) or more tunnels for hiding to give her a break. You can get some schedule 40 pipe, 8" works fine or even 4" while their young, and cut them longitudinally to create two caves from one pipe!

Just some ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I could find it, I have video of the chase and then the attack to eat the eggs dropped. Unreal the feeding frenzy, like piranhas with a nice tasty meal gone in moments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IF I could find it, I have video of the chase and then the attack to eat the eggs dropped. Unreal the feeding frenzy, like piranhas with a nice tasty meal gone in moments.
helps when you DON'T feed the lil babies, Boss; but, I applaud your plan and use it myself in the spring! Any shenanigans that happen during the summer get camouflaged by all the lily leaves and whatnot!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
helps when you DON'T feed the lil babies, Boss; but, I applaud your plan and use it myself in the spring! Any shenanigans that happen during the summer get camouflaged by all the lily leaves and whatnot!

View attachment 145446
It really helps they have a ton of natural food in the pond and thrive without a bit of help from me. They munch down any eggs they can find. There are survivors, but 10 years later still not over stocked.

The 1000 gallon pond got fed a bit since the heron wiped out 3/4 of the fish one winter. Had a hole in the net I didn't notice but it sure did. We had to run to FL after a tenant died to clean out the condo and put it up for sale. While gone mr heron had fun. Now back up to a nice number of fish in that pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It really helps they have a ton of natural food in the pond and thrive without a bit of help from me. They munch down any eggs they can find. There are survivors, but 10 years later still not over stocked.

The 1000 gallon pond got fed a bit since the heron wiped out 3/4 of the fish one winter. Had a hole in the net I didn't notice but it sure did. We had to run to FL after a tenant died to clean out the condo and put it up for sale. While gone mr heron had fun. Now back up to a nice number of fish in that pond.
yep, I remember that incident for you; I'd have been devastated. I can't tell you how much I feel blessed by putting up a screened structure over top, and by accident, avoid all the predator issues. Sooooo much peace of mind. The only preds I worry about are kids across the street and so far, I don't even think they know we HAVE a pond. BUT! I hear I'll be getting some cameras in the near future and that should help me monitor THAT situation better. ;)

Have you EVER fished out any 'morts' from your pond? Esp after winter and as spring arrives? I typically get 1-2 but last winter, and I don't know why, I had 2 koi (that had never overwintered before) and 4 goldfish. Surprised me, and esp since I could see via the UW cam that such was happening, though the koi was dead for a while before I opened the tent and fished him out. A big one, 8" at least, one of my faves from the summer before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have just put four more shubies in the pond to distract the culprit…I am hoping this helps…I now have seven..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have just put four more shubies in the pond to distract the culprit…I am hoping this helps…I now have seven..
that's how MFS starts, which leads to LPS and then we drop the MFBA document on you! It's real, don't resist; resistance is futile!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
we are OTG...ah damn was borg, but we are better! Document link in my signature, rdy to use!
What, where, when, how...........................Poco Loco en la Cabasa
1640125246162.gif

This squire has gone wonky I fear
1640125297602.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What, where, when, how...........................Poco Loco en la Cabasa View attachment 145573
This squire has gone wonky I fear View attachment 145574
I'll translate fer ya, JDub: he's saying we are the Off Topic Gang, but my reference was to the 'Borg' as in one of the villains in Star Trek Next Generation (they were a hive mindset) which would tell those it was going to conquer 'resistance is futile', and Dime is saying we're better than the Borg! Then some gibberish about the MFS manifesto being in his siggy, READY to use! Which it is! Handy, don'tcha know, for all the 'laghetto bambinos'! Yeah, I like MY version better!

Annnnnd, I don't indulge wonky squires; Dime is toppest of the notches!

NOW, you're in the KNOW!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Well, rubyduby, I think you might need to get ready in the spring for a lot of chasing and frolicing in the pond. I can't wait to see the baby pictures! I think several of the members here will begin the process of "designing your larger pond to accommodate the larger family". It's an offshoot from LPS.

Ask a Question