shutting down for winter question...

Reaction score
this is my first winter with pond andwater is cooling off a bit ,in the high 50 deg , at what point should i stop feeding koi? also at what point should i shut down the stock tank filter? when it gets a lot colder? close to freezing temps? thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do not feed any Koi below 50 degrees F. I stop feeding large Koi at 55 degrees F.
They will beg for food. Do not give it, they will be fine.
Their metabolism is such that they cannot process the food in lower temperatures and food will rot in their stomach.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never fed my goldies once water hit 50 in my ariz pond, they too sort of hibernate.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue with uv's but algae really slows down as temperature cools.

Reaction score
uv i would stop using when it gets below cause its your pump your have to worry about cause your pumps will start to crack but like dr dave said the koi will die i fed them last year too late cause i didnt know their stomaches rot (im 13 but i still know my ponds lol ) so big mistake i lost 4 koi and 2 goldies

~marino~

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yes this applies to goldies.
I don't use or believe that UV's are necessary in a properly maintained pond. If your pond needs it, then you are doing something wrong.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Yes this applies to goldies.
I don't use or believe that UV's are necessary in a properly maintained pond. If your pond needs it, then you are doing something wrong.

I agree on the UV. I had not planned on using it but the fish ate my floaters and it was too late to get mote. Next year there will be enough plants no to need it.

Reaction score
will probably turn off uv , I was planning to run one of my pumps to direct water at surface to keep from freezing , will cold freezing water harm pump running at bottom of pond? thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mailman62 said:
will probably turn off uv , I was planning to run one of my pumps to direct water at surface to keep from freezing , will cold freezing water harm pump running at bottom of pond? thanks

I don't think so, but there is comments about disturbing the bottom water if you have fish. You might be cooling the water too much.

You might want to raise the level of your pump in the pond, to leave the bottom water still.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Raising the pump up off the bottom for winter is always a good idea
Especially if some thing goes wrong in the freezing weather

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Raising the pump up off the bottom for winter is always a good idea
Especially if some thing goes wrong in the freezing weather

mailman62, this is so if something happens you won't drain your pond dry, a good idea even in the summer. Don't have the pump on the bottom of the pond, leave a little water for the fish if something goes wrong.

rdk

Reaction score
How do we prepare the dump valve on my barrel for winter snows. I can see Spring coming and finding the valve stuck from Winter sand and snow. I can't get to the barrel in heavy snow to keep spaying the valve. What should I do. RDK

rdk

Reaction score
Dr. Dave: This morning my water temp drooped to 52%. If latter on it rises back to 58% is it alright to feed the goldfish or should I tell them " That's it guys" RDK

Ask a Question