Shy koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our koi are 7 years old. Raised separate as small fry. "Simon & Garfunkle" have always been shy. When we introduced Simon to break the shy spell, he became shy too. We just upgraded to a 50 gal. Pond 4 months ago & they are still shy. Introduced 2 plocostumus, still shy. Should we get more koi to break the spell?
Ps: I do the "hanging around to watch them eat" every morning thang... No workie!
Also, on another note: any good safe place to buy duckweed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
UPGRADED to 50 gallons? What was it before the upgrade? Two koi in a 50 gallon pond? :eek:

If that's a correct figure, then by all means DO NOT add more koi. You already have two too many! Sorry... not trying to be harsh. Just the truth.

As to why your fish are shy - do they have somewhere to hide? How deep is our pond? Again, if 50 gallons is correct, then I would guess not very... they may be feeling very insecure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I know you came here for specific advice and probably didn't expect what you are hearning, but I have to agree with @Lisak1. Is 50 gal. a misprint? And most of us don't believe in mixing fish species, esp not plecos. Unless you live in an extremely tropical climate, plecos will not survive a winter once temps drop.

Most of the time fish are shy because they don't feel safe for one reason or another. Who knows what they're thinking..... But unless they have the freedom to run [well, swim] and hide to get away from perceived danger, they won't feel secure.

Please post pictures of your pond(s).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Nope not a misprint, it's In the profile info too.

Koi recommended pond size is 1000 gallons per 4 koi.

Anything smaller will produce all kinda problems with the koi. In my 1000 gallon pond I only have 1 koi cause it's too small for more imo.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As others have mentioned..Is 50 gallons correct? If it is your fish are not being shy but are lethargic from what is assuredly poor water quality. What size is the biofilter, if you have one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised they're still around in such a small tank... Also a pond to me is outdoor but profile says 50gal room tank?! Pictures just to confirm everything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
May be his 1st lang is not english and he missunderstand how much is 50 gal ? How will koi survive for 7 years in it,
I cant get , he said he raised simon garf as fry then introduced simon again? Ithink he raised both fishes in diff tanks , Like a riddle .. Lost

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
May be his 1st lang is not english and he missunderstand how much is 50 gal ? How will koi survive for 7 years in it,
I cant get , he said he raised simon garf as fry then introduced simon again? Ithink he raised both fishes in diff tanks , Like a riddle .. Lost
Let's be nice and give him/her a chance.....

Ask a Question