Shy Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 6, 2" comet goldfish and one 4" koi in my fairly new pond. The goldfish jump in the waterfall and play, but I only ever see the koi halfway into mealtime. Is it possible that he is lonely for other koi or is that just how small koi act?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

It might be helpful if you could give us more information about your pond. Sometimes fish are just shy....but sometimes they hide or show odd behavior if they are stressed, or frightened. Koi and goldfish do like companionship, but no one can tell you anything for sure without knowing more about your pond.

• how long has it been up and running?
  • what size is it?
  • do you add any chemicals to your water?
  • Have you recently added any new fish or made any changes?
  • do you test your water?
  • what kind of filtration do you have?
Can you post a picture of your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not an expert with gold fish but jumping is usualy a sign of trouble not play. Parasites are probable

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621179441927.gif
@elight23
The only time I have ever seen my goldfish jump was when there were these little flying gnats just above the water and they would slightly jump to get them. Oh and when I had these floating plant islands they would jump in there and then I would have to get them out as they couldn't figure out how to get out.
Finally took out the floating islands
1621180187744.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Two of the little goldfish chase or follow each other around and they like to swim over the two aerators I have and under the little waterfall (as seen on the left side of this picture) and sometimes jump up into it. It looks like play to me.
To answer the questions:
  • how long has it been up and running? - 8 weeks
  • what size is it? - 7x6x3 about 700 gal
  • do you add any chemicals to your water? No, but I recently added some API Simply Clear bacteria. In Portland, we have acidic water so I have added baking soda.
  • Have you recently added any new fish or made any changes? The Koi is the newest fish. I did just add an aerator to try to help with a recent algae bloom yesterday. I was also hoping that the addition of the aerator might help with the health and activity level of the fish.
  • do you test your water? Yes, and it looks great.
  • what kind of filtration do you have? Oase 5000 biofilter, and a skimmer
The little fish can be seen swimming around, but the Koi not so much. Though since adding the aerator yesterday evening, I have seen him a little more this morning when I went out to feed them, though that could be a coincidence. I'm wondering if I should get another Koi, which I'd prefer not to or if this indicates some other problem. I would like to get two same-gendered Shubunkin and then not have any other fish - after I get my water to clear up some.
TIA

Attachments

• 5A324BD0-D4FB-4425-B466-78E521E104E1.jpeg
    5A324BD0-D4FB-4425-B466-78E521E104E1.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The calculators I used said I could have 3 - 6, but I just want this one. I plan to give away 2 of my comets, leaving me with 4, and wanted 2 shubunkins. Some calculators put my oval pond at nearly 1000 gallons, but others put it at 740gal.

I read that Koi preferred not to be alone, but keeping them with other goldfish was fine. I was just wondering if his shyness might be due to not having other Koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you look at the size of a full grown koi, some can reach up to 3 feet. They will not even be able to turn around in your pond. Most say 1000 gallons for the first koi.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm not sure about the parasite possibility from other commenters. I would look into that further though and see what may be best. Since they have all been in there together since the beginning (what it sounds like?) maybe you can treat with something like a microbe lift product that is gentle yet effective. Try monitoring your fish if you can for a little bit. You can turn off the waterfall for a brief time if it is easier to see them this way. Only turn off waterfall briefly since it provides oxygen unless you have other pumps too. Always entice with food, be calm and no fast movement.

As for Koi behavior it sounds like your Koi is still pretty young and possibly just adjusting / learning still. As it gets older and more comfortable with you , you should see it become more social. Some take time to warm up a bit longer as well so it just depends.

Do everything you can to ensure your pond is clean and large enough, water levels are great for fish to thrive, that you have enough plants / coverage on top and also for the fish to enjoy. Ensure proper oxygen levels and filtration. Healthy food...all that jazz.

Koi enjoy hiding spots so little caves made from rocks or whatever works for you is good for them too. Encourage being social by feeding ... waiting and making sure they know the food is coming from you. Speak to them and they will recognize your voice and familiarize your face / sound / energy. Overtime they will learn you are not a predator and that you are friendly and have FOOD! You can offer hand feeding the koi. Be patient and quiet , slow movements. Google some more tips too if youre interested in forming more of a social bond with them. Usually once one fish gets social enough, others will follow (koi or goldfish) so thats good to know too!

Also be mindful that the goldfish will repopulate quickly with themselves and koi (and they aren't the prettiest looking when they mate with Koi which I wish was different haha but yes just keep this in mind!) I recently realized with the amount of goldfish in my pond and size of it I wanted it to only be koi so I gently removed the goldfish and rehomed them. I did this because ... yes I thought my koi needed ones of its kind but wanted to be responsible by keeping the population under control hence why I removed the goldfish. I will say my koi was friendly and swam with the goldfish but it is very happy with the other koi :love: Just keep in mind the amount of space needed, that they will grow to be large and that if there are other fish friends to be aware of not overpopulating .

Good luck and its such a fun experience with everything!

Last edited:

Ask a Question