Shy koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Why are my koi so shy? I have read all kinds of things about koi eating out of their owner’s hands. Is there a difference between Japanese koi and Thai koi in personality? When I feed, I ring a bell. They are always there when I throw the food in (floating pellets) but they circle around and around at the bottom and wait for me to leave. I assume when I walk away they come up and take the food. I am very sad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In my experience, koi all have their own personalities & that includes how bold (or shy) they might be. How old are your koi? How long have you had your pond? How often do you feed?

All of my fish have their own feeding style & some will hand feed while others will not. We have three small koi (a year old, spawned in the spring last year) and two of them will shove their way up & into the feeding frenzy with the 12 adult fish (the largest of which is 24+") while the third one still scoots around, way below the surface, just watching what's going on.

I guess what I'm saying is - all fish are not the same. Sorry. I wish yours were more interactive with you. Perhaps in time they will become more 'friendly'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, fish have their own personalities. I have one koi I've had 18 years and she's quite shy. My youngest koi is bold and curious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You're in Canada. Is the water too cold for the fish to be active? If its 40-55 F dont be surprised with a bit of shyness. They arent looking to eat a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Have your koi been fed sinking pellets maybe before you received them? My guys eat sinking pellets and never come up for food. It will just float to the skimmer if I don't catch it first....Just a thought....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I have 8 koi - 5 of them are a year old and 3 are about 8 months old. I feed them twice a day. Your idea of them being in water that is too cold may be spot on. We have had very cool weather and the pond just may not have warmed up enough for them to be hungry enough to bother to eat. Will let you as things warm up. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Such excitement! It took a long time for the pond to warm up but all of my koi are now coming to eat when I ring the bell!! They even come when I am just around the pond. Do you have a suggestion now for getting them to eat from my hand? I expect patience will be a virtue for this but I would love to try!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Such excitement! It took a long time for the pond to warm up but all of my koi are now coming to eat when I ring the bell!! They even come when I am just around the pond. Do you have a suggestion now for getting them to eat from my hand? I expect patience will be a virtue for this but I would love to try!!

Start by not letting go of the food until your hand is in the water and keeping your hand in the water for a minute not moving.

Advance from there as they get used to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
This is going really well!! When the water is really warm at the afternoon feeding, they bump in to my hand when they are eating!! However, I am feeding small floating pellets so I can’t figure out how to hold it in my hand to get them to actually eat out of my hand. Is there a different food that would work better for this? I have seen “koi treats” advertised and they look pretty big. Next step? This is so much fun now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I generally toss the fish's "kibble" but hand feed their afternoon 'treat' (which is watermelon) But, it must be said, some of the fish will not come up & feed out of our hands. Some are simply much bolder than others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a coy koi in the group around here they are all pigs . They will eat as much as I'll give them

Ask a Question