Sick Albino Grass Carp

Reaction score
Hi, any help would be appreciated.
I have an ill Albino grass carp. He is the only ill fish and the only grass carp in the pond. He has been this way for approx. 6 weeks now. I have treated the pond for 3 weeks with Tetra Medifin, as I thought it was fungal, but with no joy. He doesn't seem to be acting any different, but obviously its not right. He is a fair size of 2 foot long. I have x1 ghostie, and 12 Koi also in the pond, and all are in perfect health. Any help would be appreciated.
P1030868.JPGP1030870.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks as though this carp was first damaged by jumping and its since become a problem however I'd get this guy out and anethatised using if you have it 10ml of oil of cloves, you place your carp into a container add the oil of cloves then wait until your carp stops moving and goes over onto its side...
Then lift out of the mixture to check for any movement the gills will stll be moving but nothing else should be then clean up that wound with with a soft tooth brush until the area bleeds, then using cotton buds one at a time clearing each part of the wound outwards..
When this is done apply some malachite green to the wound then spray with some Propolis Avilable from Health food stores to the wound .
The Malachite Green should help clear the wound up, the propolis is a type of by product of bees and keeps the hive healthy and can be used on your fish.
When all is clean and done place the carp in a flow of oxygenated water and hold gently till the fish comes around, you should have a five mintue window in which to do treatment .
Keep us posted as to your progress with the carp.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
stradic said:
Thanks Dave. Ill get the medicines, and let you know the outcome. Much appreciated!
If your unsure on how to anethatise please let me know and I'll talk you through this . its quite easy once you have done it , remember take the wound down to fresh skin but b gentle then with each cotton bud sweep outwards from the center of the wound.
this is because you dont want to miss everything and not reintroduce anything into the wound.
Keep the malachite green away from the carps gills and gill area .
Best of luck on your first attempt if your unsure you can always put the carp back in under a flow of oxygenated water and revive it .
I remember my first ever anethatization of a koi which went smoothly *
*note if you ever need to euthanize a fish add another 20 ml of Oil of cloves and leave the fish to gently pass away.
A really spot on Anethetic which I now use is MS222 ( more control over the fish whilst out cold ).

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question