Sick blue calico

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I noticed it flash a couple times last night when I turned the lights off in the indoor pond. Caught my attention so immediately checked this morning and not good at all. It was down on its side by the pump not moving. I immediately got it into a QT and to be honest didn’t think it would last the day.
Ammonia Trace
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
pH 7.8 in the pond.
Came home today to this which is an improvement on this morning. Other fish are good. Gills look good. Dropsy?:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Whoops. Can a mod move this to the “sickness” topic? Sorry

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pretty fish, I don't know illnesses that well. Someone will chime in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't tell from the video but are the scales raised at all? That would be an indication of dropsy.

There should not be any ammonia. The fish could possibly be reacting to poor water quality. Not every fish will show symptoms at once. The weaker ones will become sick and die first.

How big/gallons is your indoor pond? How many fish? What's your water change schedule? And what are you using for filtration? Did you clean your filter recently? Have you added any new fish recently?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I can't tell from the video but are the scales raised at all? That would be an indication of dropsy.

***Dropsy was only suggested to me from describing the erratic flashing however scales look normal. No sign of external parasites.

There should not be any ammonia. The fish could possibly be reacting to poor water quality. Not every fish will show symptoms at once. The weaker ones will become sick and die first.

***Agreed there should be 0 ammonia but between water changes it creeps a hair up. When I say trace, my kit reads yellow with the slightest hint of green.

How big/gallons is your indoor pond? How many fish? What's your water change schedule? And what are you using for filtration? Did you clean your filter recently? Have you added any new fish recently?

***175 gallons with a 30 gallon stacked on top for hyacinth and WL. 9 fish total-all rescues. Largest 8” head to tail. Every 3-5 days 50% with a 75% once a month when I service the pump and filter. Filter system is a 1000gph pump through a shower filter with 5 gallons of media. Only change and could be critical is an increase in feeding about two weeks ago. I introduced the two fry that were living in the upper pond to the lower pond and they’re to small to take the Blackwater pellets so some flake has been added to meals. That and the inside pond is warming up now so they’re eating more. I noticed the increase in detritus immediately. No new arrivals since last November. GRRRR couple weeks away from going outside and this happens. Not a single issue all winter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I think you’re right though. I might have had an ammonia spike which might have whacked my pH. I went out to the fishroom after I responded initially and checked pH again and it was down :unsure:. Retested with same result 7. So I’ll adjust that over the next 24 or so and see if I can regain some stability. Thinking that I might be teetering on the edge, I fired up my old whisper1000 and dropped in 2 XL sponges. I’ll just keep them there tilI I shut this down and move outside. Saphie (the fish) is resting upright and respiration seems slightly better. QT is a 16g with sponge and heat. No meds yet except Stress-guard and 75% WC twice a day. Fasting for now. It is a beautiful fish. Docile. I guess morning will dictate the next course of action. Hey somewhere someone mentioned Cataba leaves, like the ones my wife uses with her Betta for stress relief. Any truth to that you think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Extra filtration is always good.

Personally I wouldn't use the Indian Almond Leaves (another name for capatta leaves) while they may be beneficial for bettas I'm not so sure about goldfish. I understand they will lower ph and we don't want to do that in this tank.

I think your best bet is going to be pristine water and time (personally I would do daily water changes until he is out of the quarantine tank) And add an airstone if you have an extra one on hand.

Good luck with him and keep us posted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very pretty fish and glad to hear it's improving. While I agree with doing water changes, I think 75 % daily is too much....I've always read smaller increments when done frequently. I also agree with adding an airstone.

I don't think it has dropsy. The way it swims in fits and spurts makes me suspect a swim bladder issue, but I'm not an expert. I've read where feeding peas helps with swim bladder issues, so perhaps research that.

I'm so glad to hear it's doing better :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Extra filtration is always good.

Personally I wouldn't use the Indian Almond Leaves (another name for capatta leaves) while they may be beneficial for bettas I'm not so sure about goldfish. I understand they will lower ph and we don't want to do that in this tank.
Good call. Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Just an update. 5 days in QT. The prazi dose was 3 days. 50% WC daily with full strength Stressguard. Saphie is upright and swimming somewhat normally. Took a little food yesterday. Color is coming back. Not out of the woods but definite improvement.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
More improvement. An ulcer looking area appeared last Thursday on its side. Thought it was a lost cause but Friday evening looked much better. Vet in the area stopped by today and was very surprised. He thought it was a goner too but the area is healing quickly and swimming has almost returned to normal. Theory so far is what ever parasite was in it died and possibly the body was perhaps rejecting it. Theory. But I’ll take this recovery all day long. Still going to be in QT for quite a spell before it’s back with the gang.

Ask a Question