Sick bullfrogs

Reaction score
I have several bullfrogs in my pond that I raised from tadpoles about 4 years ago. In the last year three of them have become severely bloated and eventually died, the last one I discovered last night. After I found it dead, I took a scalpel and opened up the abdomen to see what was causing such massive bloating. The frog's abdominal cavity was filled with clear fluid. I could find no other signs of trauma or tumor. Does anyone else have experience with bullfrogs? What could be causing these frogs to develop such symptoms?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any problems with fish? Frogs tend to be more sensitive to toxins and environmental issues. They are one of the first indicators of a environmental disaster in larger Eco-systems such as Rain Forests and large natural parks such as Yellowstone, Smokey Mountain national forest, etc. Not saying that is what it is but it does bring up the question since more than one have been found this way. May i suggest trying to take a water sample to somewhere that can be checked for toxins. Some water companies will do this if you tell them what your situation is and why you want the water tested. Not going to be able to find a test kit for at home use through any retailer that can test for these, as there are so many different things it could be. Possibilities though that come to mind. Insecticides, fertilizers, pesticides, hydrocarbons, and metals are some of the top ones that it "COULD" be but for sure not limited to.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recall reading something similar [ about frogs being an indicator of environmental quality ].

If you find out what happened, please post again and let us know!

Reaction score
HSJami,

I did a quick google search and found this site: http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/faq.html

They offered these relatively vague, but informative words...

When a frog is bloated it generally is filled with one of two things, a solid or a liquid. When an amphibian appears bloated because it is full of solids it often is due to impaction. Captive amphibians can accidentally swallow some of the substrate they are being kept on while they feed. Certain substrates, such as gravel or small pieces of bark, can become lodged inside of the stomach or intestine and cause problems. Amphibians that are fed a diet that is very high in chitin can also become bloated due to impaction. Sometimes whatever is stuck inside of the digestive tract will work its way out on its own, but more often this health problem requires surgery to fix.

When an amphibian appears bloated because it is full of a liquid it can be related to water quality. Amphibians have a permeable skin and are sensitive to the chemicals in their environment. Even the chlorine and chloramines found in most tap water can cause harm, and over time may cause damage to the kidneys. Kidney failure is common in captive amphibians and can give an amphibian a bloated appearance when they are unable to pass water. Other water quality problems can also cause medical problems that may make an amphibian look bloated, so always ensure that the water being used is safe for amphibians.

Bloating can also be caused by many other ailments, such as infections and nutritional imbalances. In all cases, the amphibian will need to be taken to a qualified veterinarian immediately. To locate a veterinarian that has experience dealing with reptiles and amphibians please see the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians.

Gordy

Ask a Question