Sick comets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1 of my comets is showing no sign of illness visually, yet is acting strange, staying in the margins swimming about. I done a water change, de-chlorinated and treated for bacterial problems. Now it's on its way out. What could b wrong? Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What could be wrong? That’s a wide open question — please give us some information and maybe we can help you.

• Are your fish in a pond or in a tank?
  • what size is the pond/tank?
  • how long have you had them?
  • what do you mean by “acting strange”?
  • why did you treat for “bacterial problems,” especially if the fish was not showing signs of illness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9 foot x 5.5 foot pree formed 22 inch deep pond. My fish are left to breed natural and this 1 is about 3-4 yro. Swimming around in the margins and now it seems to be struggling to swim and mostly on its side. I looked up online and due to no external wounds, marks, flaring of scales or fungus, I treated them with a anti bacterial treatment

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1612892615262.gif
@Duff
If it's just one fish who knows w/o any signs other than just acting strange like that. Could be something wrong inside but you will never know unless you do a dissection of the fish perhaps and I don't ever do that and if I did I would not know what to look for. When I have a fish that passes w/o much sign of what could be wrong I just let it go and don't treat for something that I don't know is there. By adding meds you could disrupt things in your pond and perhaps start something worse among your other fish. You will have fish die now and then and perhaps never know why, it's just the way it is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was beginning to think that as I've only 1 fish in the last few years as I leave them alone. As this is one I bred I thought I would see if it could b saved as I did with my aquarium fish, these things happen as u say so I'll just see what happens. the bacterial treatment was 2 weeks ago so from now on I will go back to letting nature take its course. Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If it’s just one, it might be an internal defect that can’t be treated. But if possible, do a quick water test, to see if ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are in normal ranges, and keep an eye on the others. It just may be more sensitive to a change than the others, but most likely it’s nothing that can be treated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great, I'll get the test kit and do it. My mum loves watching them so she spots everything. If something effects the others, she will know. I agree with u, I don't think it can b treated. I think it's the water as I never had any babies at the time of year I usually do. Thank u

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Factors like feed, water temperature, and weather all can affect breeding. They might have eaten the eggs, or you could have dragon fly nymph that caught all the fry, just as possible factors that might have prevented new fish.

Ask a Question