Sick fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went and purchased some new koi from supposedly a reputable dealer but when I put them in with my fish , my fish started acting sluggesh, I ended up loosing 5 of my fish I had to start with and 2 of the new one, I finally have away the new fish and my fish are finally a ting right again, any ideas what went so wrong? Parasites, maybe? I told the man I got them from of course he said he hadn't had any complaints, this happened with in a couple of hours they started acting strange and over the course of a couple of days I lost the fish.Help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Tiffany ! Sorry you found us when you had a pond catastrophe. That seems to happen a lot.

A few more details on your pond would be helpful. For example, how big is it? How many gallons? How long has it been running? Do you have filtration? If so, what type? Waterfall? Aeration? How many koi did you have? How long had they been in your pond? How many did you add? What size were all these fish?

Without knowing more about your pond, I will give you the two more logical answers -

1. You didn't follow quarantine protocol and the fish infected your fish with something. That seems unlikely though, as this sounds like it happened rather quickly. If the new fish were infected with something it would have taken a bit longer for your fish to be affected. Also you said some of the new fish died, too.

2. You added too many fish to an already fully loaded with fish pond. Adding the additional fish tipped the balance and nature took over, eliminating the overpopulation problem.

Give us a bit more to work with and we can narrow down the issue!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
you are not the first and wont be the last to not quarantine. i have done it myself when i thought i was buying from a vendor who quarantined his fish before sale. my fish got attacked by gill flukes and trichodina in about 4 days. my fault. you must quarantine. if you belong to a club, the health advisor can scrape and scope unless you know how and have the equipment.

the only way you will know what is happening is to scrape and scope and have some experienced koi keepers help you sort it out on site. if there is a club nearby i would recommend contacting them.

even with the help, you might not sort it out.

Ask a Question