Sick fish

Reaction score
My 5 year old shubunkin went from normal to listless in an 8 hour period. He showed no signs of illness and then was gravely I’ll and now deceased. He had long red veins in his fins and Missing side scales. Other fish seem fine. Check water and it is good. See pic.

Attachments

• 4144ED3C-67E2-4B39-A104-6F51CF41FC6E.jpeg
    4144ED3C-67E2-4B39-A104-6F51CF41FC6E.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 105

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. I’ll add a link at bottom of common gold fish illnesses if you want to read through it. It’s always hard to tell from a picture. If the dark spots are on scales, not the lateral line but above and below Could be parasites/cysts, itching can cause scale loss. Read through the list and if anything stands out let us know. If it isn’t an illness it could be from trying to get away from something, either getting bullied or predator.
http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry! It’s not easy. If you could give us some more information about your pond, it will help us try to figure out what’s going on.

How big is your pond? How many fish do you have? What kind of filtration do you have? Have you recently made any changes to your pond? Have you recently added new fish?

Since you have already checked your water, can you tell us what the actual numbers were for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and pH? The numbers can tell us more information than “good.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, please test your water with liquid testing kits, not strips and post the results.

Also, I think that fish is not a shubunkin but a sarassa.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I wonder if a predator had a grab at him. The missing scales are curious. Unless he was flashing and scraped them off on a rock or something. I don't see the red streaks that you mentioned, but it can be hard in a photo. I'm sorry - that's always sad!

Ask a Question