Sick gold fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Does anyone know what this is? I noticed that in the fall one of my goldfish in my pond had this growth on her side, I figured it wouldn't survive the winter so I brought it in for the winter. Its almost spring and now she has about two or three of these bumps on her. The behavior seems fine (swimming and eating ok). It doesn't seem contagious as none of the other fish have it. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? Shes one of my sons favorite fish (named mega mouth) so I would like to save her if I can.
Thanks

Attachments

• sick gold fish.jpg
    sick gold fish.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 370

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looks to be a cyst on the orange one. Not much you can do about a cyst. Can't tell what's on the gold one, not a great picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Looks to be a cyst on the orange one. Not much you can do about a cyst. Can't tell what's on the gold one, not a great picture.
Its the same fish, best pics I could get of the fish. Every time I go close she would swim and hide under something, to many plants and stuff around to get a good pic...But a cyst eh, ok thanks. Guess theres not much I can do about that.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Appears to possibly be fish pox. It is a viral infection and has no cure. It will often disappear when the water is warm. Usually caused by water quality issues.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Its the same fish, best pics I could get of the fish. Every time I go close she would swim and hide under something, to many plants and stuff around to get a good pic...But a cyst eh, ok thanks. Guess theres not much I can do about that.

What's your filtration set-up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
What's your filtration set-up?
In my outdoor pond I have a 12'x1'x1' bog filter. It has plants, gravel & carbon in it, The fish was in the outdoor pond when I first noticed this issue.
The indoor winter pond just has some air stones and my tropical plants. I do regular water changes.
Im not sure if its my water quality issues as all my other fish are thriving.

Ask a Question