Sick Koi Please help him...

Reaction score
20201218_142132.jpg
My
20201218_142037.jpg

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry about the gross pics but what is this thing on my fish. It cam off quite easily. he's now very quiet and hiding, is there a remedy and will it affect the others.Please help..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m sorry, but I think you’re going to have to give us a little more information so we can put these pictures in context. Is you koi showing signs of illness? I honestly can’t tell anything from your pictures. How big is this “object?”

Reaction score
The fish is about 9 inches, the growth about 2, he seems very subdued hiding away from the other 2.
He had been doing this before i saw the growth for a few weeks.
previous to that he was happy at a friends but it all started after i moved him into the new pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The fish is about 9 inches, the growth about 2, he seems very subdued hiding away from the other 2.
He had been doing this before i saw the growth for a few weeks.
previous to that he was happy at a friends but it all started after i moved him into the new pond
When did you move him into the new pond and how long was he in the friend’s pond? How big is the pond and how many fish? Changing environments can be stressful. Even healthy fish can become ill. Does that seem like a living creature, or could it be a piece of mucus?

Reaction score
Friends pond over summer.
Moved into new pond Oct. Pond is a wooden raised tank 8' x 4' x 3.5 feet deep with 4000lph pump into 6000l uv pressure filter with 2 aerators. Water is very clear.
Was fine till december then went quiet but i thought he was on shut down as normal in winter, the other 2 are.
Saw him with this a week ago and took photos.
Since then he is in the corner on his own.
2 other slightly larger koi, same age.
The growth was definitely not alive, it was like a lump of snot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I honestly can't imagine what that is, other than perhaps some kind of tumorous growth? Did you scrape it off? Pull it off?

Now for the hard part - you have an 800 gallon pond with three koi. It's way too small... maybe not now, but it will be soon. Your pump is about 1000 GPH if my conversion math is correct - that's undersized, but especially so for an overstocked pond. UV means nothing to your fish. Same with clear water - not an accurate measure of the health of your pond. A good test kit will tell you what's going on with the water chemistry, which may or may not be related to the situation you are currently dealing with.

You are correct in assuming that slowing down is normal as your pond cools off for winter, so it may be that this is normal for the fish at this time of year. But a fish that is obviously isolating from others is usually showing you a sign that something is wrong.

Sorry - wish I could be more helpful!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess, just keep an eye on him, and watch the other koi for signs of illness or changes in behavior. Make sure your water quality is good and balanced. Let us know if you need more information on what we mean by “balanced.”

Get a water test kit (liquid, like API Master freshwater) and get in the habit of regularly testing your water, especially since you do have a lot of koi for a small pond (the smaller the pond, and the higher the fish-load, the more you need to stay on top of your water quality).

Nice, pretty, clear water does NOT equal healthy water!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@RichB I just thought of something! There is another pond-forum, mostly dedicated to koi (our forum and their forum aren’t related, though). It’s KOIPHEN.COM. They have an entire topic area devoted to koi illnesses, and they have members who are specially trained in this area. I would love to know what that “piece of snot” is, and I would love to know if there is anything that can be done for your fish!

Why not join over there and see what they say, then get back with us. They will want to know the story behind what’s going on with this fish — maybe they can help you! For sure, they will want to see the pictures and will probably ask about your water parameters.

Please let us know what you find out, and give us an update on the koi’s condition!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When I was raising Koi, if one showed any signs of distress or had visible lesions, I immediately isolated it and gave a strong salt bath for no more than 10 minutes. As I recall, the salt content should be about .3%. You have to watch the patient and make sure you remove before 10 minutes if they start going belly up. I saved a few using this method.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I was raising Koi, if one showed any signs of distress or had visible lesions, I immediately isolated it and gave a strong salt bath for no more than 10 minutes. As I recall, the salt content should be about .3%. You have to watch the patient and make sure you remove before 10 minutes if they start going belly up. I saved a few using this method.
I have done that with a few GF, as well. I always have to look up the dosing info for the salt bath. I would also put an air stone in the bucket/container with the fish, and totally agree that it requires close monitoring for signs of distress! (Now that you mention it — I haven’t added any new fish in years, though — I would also put any new GF through a brief “salt dip” before I put them in QT.)

Ask a Question