sick koi

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old koi pond about 26,000liters 3 feet deep woth four return lines and 6 waterfalls, aquatic plants and fully filtered. I keep the PH at around 8. I have 10 koi in various sizes and 2 small turtles. All has been fine up until three days ago when 2 of the koi where unable to keep there balance and layed on the bottom gasping for air. We are American living in Guadalajara Mexico so solutions for this is not readily available here. We had no idea what to do but left them alone and tried to feed them to no avail. However whenever we touched them they moved as if they were fine but for a short time and down to the borom they went and upsidedown. Ph is fine nothing has been done differently and all the other fish are fine. This morning the smaller of the 2 affected fish started acting normal, upright and swimming
normally and actually ate a few pellets of fish food however the larger of the 2 is still laying on the bottom and alive. Any ideas of what to do or what may have caused this.
Doug from Mexico

Reaction score
Have you checked any other water parameters besides pH?

Can you get a good look at them? Any ulcers, fungus, tail rot, etc?

How long has the pond been running?

Have you introduced anything new to it recently?

Reaction score
Thanks Bunny for your reply. I mainly check for PH only but also get results for alkaline and water hardness, No visual ulcers or tail problems. One of the 2 has revived itself and seems to be just about back to normal but the bigger one in still laying on it's side gasping for air but lively if I try and pick it up.
I have added nothing else to the pond that is about 6 months old. My normal routine is to brush it every day to control the alea, use a net to remove any leaves which normally are very few and clean the filter daily. Water is crytal clear and normally check the PH every other day and is normally around 8. Very seldom is it higher like 8.2 but when it is I add muriatic acid just a little to bring it back down a little. Water temperature at the moment is about 78.
Thanks again
Doug in Mexico

Reaction score
You should be checking for ammonia too.

I am not really sure what is bothering this guy, but you could put him in a quar tank and treat with salt. At least quarantining him may prevent the others form getting sick if it is a parasite and give you a chance to watch him better. The only other think I can think of is that his is a swim bladder problem. That would explain his inability to balance himself, but I think swim bladder issues cause the fish to float and yours is not floating.

There are threads on this forum about the use of salt if you are not aware of the practice.

Reaction score
Thanks Bunny, I read about the swim bladder problem and that at least in the beginning had the most symptoms of all but your right this guy wants to lay on his side at the bottom. I have also seen salt so let me read how and ow much ad see what I can do. I will start checking for ammonia as well. Will keep you posted. Thank you again.
Doug in Mexico

Ask a Question