sick koi

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by lillysbaba, Oct 6, 2016.

1. lillysbaba

lillysbaba

Noticed this am that my 24-28"koi were staying longer at the bottom and hiding. When I saw that they had not emptied the feeder that my husband filled I knew that something was wrong. One of them did come under the lily pads like they sometimes do and I got a close look. The gills were lined with what looked like blood under the skin. the fins had the same red at the base as well as a crescent shaped red at the base of the tail. I don't see any broken skin, sores, missing scales or parasites of any kind. I called Nelsons Water Gardens and they recommended Melafix and a 25% water change today and tomorrow. In a weak moment two weeks ago we bought a little ogon about 6" long because we had lost our big one after last spring's spawn. I knew better than to put it in without having it in quarantine and now I wonder if this is the cause of the problem. I have only seen this little guy once since we put him in so I can't evaluate his condition. All water parameters are normal via my test kit and Nelson's testing.
    Anyone have any words of wisdom.
    If we lose these guys I am going to wrap it up after 30 years of ponding..................

lillysbaba, Oct 6, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. lillysbaba

Tula

I think it's usually your koi, that become ill, as they don't have resistance to what the new koi bring in.

That said, I don't want to offer inaccurate advice to you. There are some good koi people on this site, but I'd head over to koiphen.com and take a look at their health and emergency section, as they have a dedicated koi health committee.

They'll want specific water value numbers. Pictures are also necessary, as best you can.

This is what I'd do, prior to treating my koi. All the best, I'm very sorry you're experiencing this :(

Tula, Oct 6, 2016
    Gemma and sissy like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. lillysbaba

sissy sissy

Has anything else changed since or before the new addition .Stress in koi can sometimes make them look different .

sissy, Oct 6, 2016
    Tula likes this.
  4. lillysbaba

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Tell us some more about your pond, size, filtration, etc. And if you could get some good, close-up pics, that would help as well. BTW, what were your test results?

Mmathis, Oct 6, 2016
    Tula likes this.
  5. lillysbaba

Dave 54

Quarantine is and must remain part of what we do both as ponders and koi keepers its just not worth the risk as you are finding out , please in future remember it as an important part of what we do .
    Firstly can we have the water perameter reasults of your pond from your most recent tests i;e Ammonia Nitrates Nitrites Ph Gh and Kh once we know these we can proceed .

Dave

Dave 54, Oct 7, 2016
  6. lillysbaba

Giovanni Carlo Bagayas

Tawagan Norte, Labangan Zamboanga del sur
    normally kois have parasites and other pathogens with them from their previous environment and they are immune with it but when you transfer them to new environment they get stress and that is why their immune system weakens and they get sick. that is why you need to put them to a proper quarantine procedures.

Giovanni Carlo Bagayas, Oct 7, 2016
    Gemma likes this.
  7. lillysbaba

Gemma

So sorry your fish aren't well! I'm sure you will find a lot of help on here!

Gemma, Oct 7, 2016
  8. lillysbaba

lillysbaba

Did a 25% water change and let new water trickle in, taking 5 hours to fill 500gal, treated with Ammo lock. Dosed with melafix according to container directions. This morning a lot of the redness is gone, although not completely and I do believe that some of the antibiotic food is gone. They are swimming around slowly. I did another 25% water change and added Ammo lock and melafix the same as yesterday.
    There is no measurable ammonia in the water, Nitrites, ph and Nitrates are all in the normal range tested by both myself and Nelson's Water Gardens. They did not recommend salt as there was some in the water and I confess I was so frazzled I do not recall the level.
    I cannot see anything on the gills like threads or any kind of parasites on the body. I have a skimmer, a large aerator with four air stones, a waterfall and two returns that are from filter hoses. They seem to be gulping the water but not at the top and not excessively, just a little more pronounced than usual. I will do the same water exchange tomorrow along with another dose of melafix as recommended by Nelsons. I will try to get a picture that is not blurry and post it.

lillysbaba, Oct 7, 2016
    Usman likes this.
  9. lillysbaba

Usman

hi welcome , we r on facebook too )

Usman, Oct 7, 2016
  10. lillysbaba

Usman

yes i would do same , melafix or methyle blue , but do u have hospital tank? uil need to seprate them , if not then atleast an hour bath concentrated every day if its mild sickness . but ask some one about dosage because every where concentration and brands is different , normaly its a drop for gallon if its for pond , some are diluted then 2 drops

Usman, Oct 7, 2016
    1. Advertisements