Sick Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question about the health of my 3 Koi. They are in a 700 Gallon outdoor pond with a bio filter system, one large waterfall, a stream and another smaller waterfall. The 3 koi in question have been in the pond for at least 3 years. They are between 12" and 15" long. I never had problems with their health, but I think they might have a parasite. We had ducks in our pond this Spring and I don't know if they maybe carried the parasites into the pond. We also just got 3 new 4" koi from a reputable source. I contacted him already and he had no complaints about any of the koi he sold that were in the same batch. It seems as well that the 3 new ones are not affected.
The water test came out normal, but we did 3 or 4 water changes already and added some Kock-Out. One of the Koi started about 2-1/2 weeks ago being lethargic, not feeding and flashing. Then all 3 did the same a few days later. With all the water changes and the Knock-out they are improving. They are more active, feeding a little bit and not as scared anymore as they were 2 weeks ago. They were actually so tame before all this happened, that I could feed them by hand. We were away for 4 days and just got back today. I was shocked to see that the one that was actually affected the least before, looks terrible. See photos. I really don't know what it could be. I thought it was Ich, but now I'm not sure. I didn't do a scrape because I didn't want to stress them any more. I also don't know how to do it and haven't found a place that would test the scrape here in Edmonton. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to loose my pets.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My first thought is some type of fungus when I look at the body of the koi. The fin looks like it might be a parasite....anchor worm?

I think you should sedate the fish and scrape and scope...do you have a microscope? If you don't have a microscope or know someone with access to one, you'll probably have to do a broad spectrum treatment.

I'll be following with interest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My first thought is some type of fungus when I look at the body of the koi. The fin looks like it might be a parasite....anchor worm?

I think you should sedate the fish and scrape and scope...do you have a microscope? If you don't have a microscope or know someone with access to one, you'll probably have to do a broad spectrum treatment.

I'll be following with interest.
Thanks Tula. A fungal infection was my thought as well. Maybe they had ich before and it turned into a fungal infection now? We are treating with a broad spectrum already though. Hopefully it will still save them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We have been treating for ich as soon as we noticed a problem. We treated with a product called Knock-Out Plus. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never heard of it. Who is the manufacturer?

The fish in the first photo has either Ich or Columnaris. I lean towards Ich because there are no large patches as is common with Columnaris. Formilin should be administered as a whole pond treatment. Be sure to turn off the UV if you have one.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We have a lot of lilies and other plant material in the pond. Will Formilin or Malachite Green kill them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I purchased another product but haven't used it yet. It is Ich-X from Pond Solutions. It does contain Malachite Green as well. Would that be ok?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
welcome to the forum, hope your issue is quickly resolved!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I purchased another product but haven't used it yet. It is Ich-X from Pond Solutions. It does contain Malachite Green as well. Would that be ok?
Yes, since that contains Malachite Green, use it. The sooner that you begin eradicating this parasite the more likely you are to save your fish.

Ask a Question