Sick koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Last week I purchased several koi from a reputable breeder, added them to my new pond along with several comets I already owned. All seemed well, but one fish in particular has started acting weird, swimming solo, isolated with little movement. Tonight I spotted it sort of perched on a rock, went over and it swam away. Something is definitely up. I don't see any injuries or find missing, but I'm concerned. My question is, should I remove it from the pond and isolate it, if so, should I put it in water from the pond itself, or maybe new water. I have to plead ignorance regarding what type it is, I believe it's a butterfly, kind of just bought it on appearance, kind of dumb of me not to know. I'll include the best pic I can get. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170617-195006.png
    Screenshot_20170617-195006.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 187

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big is your pond, size and how many gallons? How many total fish are in the pond and about how big are they? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have a water test kit? If not, obtain one [liquid, not strips], test your water and report the results back for us [please give us the actual numbers, don't just say that the results were "OK" or "normal"].

None of the other fish are acting odd? Can you see any sores or discolorations on the koi in question? No sores? Can you catch him and take pictures?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
The pond is about 10 x 10, 1500 gallons. I'm getting a test kit tomorrow and will report back the actual numbers. I have a biological waterfall filtration with skimmer. These are all juvenile koi, the one in question is about 4 inches. I have 11 small to medium comets and 6 newly purchased koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
The pond is about 10 x 10, 1500 gallons. I'm getting a test kit tomorrow and will report back the actual numbers. I have a biological waterfall filtration with skimmer. These are all juvenile koi, the one in question is about 4 inches. I have 11 small to medium comets and 6 newly purchased koi.
i guess if they are newly bought fish must have disease already or from stress , u shud have quarantine them or given them bath of med or salt before adding , now too if u have hospital tank , separate if its not recovering , it will make others sick too if she is sick indeed
do u have any all in one general med ? from pic nothing can b seen its unclear , do u see any abnormal skin or fins etc?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
Ok, well I lost the fish overnight. The rest seem fine and have eaten. I will make sure to post water test results later. Anyway, here is our deceased fish. Orange on gill plate may be debris, also see a blood spot on one eye, other than that, nothing else remarkable.

Attachments

• 20170618_083046.jpg
    20170618_083046.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 205
  • 20170618_083029.jpg
    20170618_083029.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am sorry for the loss of your fish, it was very pretty. It's good you're keeping your eye on the rest.

Ask a Question