Sick koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
To start my story I have a koi pond that is about 1100 gal. I love my pond and koi but this year I am loosing them. A couple of years ago I had babies and finally got the rest of them all but 3 out this year. So that left 4 adults and 3 babies. One day I noticed 1 adult sitting on bottom of pond and not eating. I googled it and everything I read said perisites and to give a salt bath. So I did a salt bath on all of them and that really made things worse. I then did a 1/3 water change and add stress coat. Did not help so talked to someone and he suggested 50% water change, test water and stop feeding which I did. All the tests were at exceptible levels. Did not seem to help so I added Praziquental treatment. It seed to help temporary. I next did a complete water change and cleaned the pond. Left the koi in holding tank for 2 days with air stones. Filled pond up added stress coat and aqua one beneficial bacteria and a new pump. Well the koi were good for about one day. Jumping rolling like crazy but they were eating. Got worse every day so Saturday I added more parziquental. As of today they are still flashing, noses buried in waterfall or sitting on bottom of pond, stopped eating. I'm about to loose two more. I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to help my koi. Heart broken.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hi there. Very sad. I can feel your sadness and share it. Koi are pretty special. Your use of Praziquantel would be a good thing if the fish have parasites and based on the symptoms (jumping, flashing and rolling I would suspect parasites as well). WHen the fish appeared to be better after the treatment but then deteriorated again I am wondering if the medication was required each day? Usually it is required for a period of at least a week or 10 days to kill parasites. Did you follow the instructions on the label for the brand of Prazi you are using? all those waterchanges dont really help for parasites and that stresses the fish. Gill flukes would lead the fish to be near the waterfall as that is where the oxyegen is highest in the pond usually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Did you test your water before you started all these treatments? The first question should be "is the water quality good". Once you've established that, you can start to look to problems with the fish. But most "fish problems" are really water quality issues. In your case I would guess too many fish in too small of a pond. 7 koi in 1000 gallons is way too many.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you test your water before you started all these treatments? The first question should be "is the water quality good". Once you've established that, you can start to look to problems with the fish. But most "fish problems" are really water quality issues. In your case I would guess too many fish in too small of a pond. 7 koi in 1000 gallons is way too many.
Good morning, yes daily and was always in good ranges. I only have 3 adult koi now and 3 small ones. My pond is about 8 years old and this is the first time I have ever had trouble like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
To start my story I have a koi pond that is about 1100 gal. I love my pond and koi but this year I am loosing them. A couple of years ago I had babies and finally got the rest of them all but 3 out this year. So that left 4 adults and 3 babies. One day I noticed 1 adult sitting on bottom of pond and not eating. I googled it and everything I read said perisites and to give a salt bath. So I did a salt bath on all of them and that really made things worse. I then did a 1/3 water change and add stress coat. Did not help so talked to someone and he suggested 50% water change, test water and stop feeding which I did. All the tests were at exceptible levels. Did not seem to help so I added Praziquental treatment. It seed to help temporary. I next did a complete water change and cleaned the pond. Left the koi in holding tank for 2 days with air stones. Filled pond up added stress coat and aqua one beneficial bacteria and a new pump. Well the koi were good for about one day. Jumping rolling like crazy but they were eating. Got worse every day so Saturday I added more parziquental. As of today they are still flashing, noses buried in waterfall or sitting on bottom of pond, stopped eating. I'm about to loose two more. I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to help my koi. Heart broken.
Hi there. Very sad. I can feel your sadness and share it. Koi are pretty special. Your use of Praziquantel would be a good thing if the fish have parasites and based on the symptoms (jumping, flashing and rolling I would suspect parasites as well). WHen the fish appeared to be better after the treatment but then deteriorated again I am wondering if the medication was required each day? Usually it is required for a period of at least a week or 10 days to kill parasites. Did you follow the instructions on the label for the brand of Prazi you are using? all those waterchanges dont really help for parasites and that stresses the fish. Gill flukes would lead the fish to be near the waterfall as that is where the oxyegen is highest in the pond usually.

Ask a Question