Sick Koi

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a dragon scale koi that has a problem not to sure what it is. The other day I was sitting relaxing watching the fish swim I see the fish swimming but acting bit sluggish just kinda rubbing on a pot a few times. I jump into action get the net its getting dark I'll be dammed that little bugger eluded capture last night.

I get up this morning had some work to get done forgot all about the fish go out to get in my truck to go look at the pond he is not good I can clearly see the warning signs. Scoop the poor guy up get some water outta the pond get the salt out mix it up get the fish into an isolation tank get some aeration going whew off to work.

Now I am back from work happy to report the fish is better but not out of trouble. I see no signs of ick or other parasites. He dose have a bit of discoloration on one side where its clear something is going on. All water parameters are fine we did get a big cool down from eighties to friggen 53* for a high today the other 2 koi are fine not happy bout the cool down like me I'm sure but fine...LOL

This fish has been with me for over a year growing good eating like a pig just a beautiful fish that I would hate to lose. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Its probably a good idea to post a picture of the discoloration if you can. More knowledgeable people than myself might be able to help, but if in doubt, Id always get professional advice, unless you are well versed in the ins and outs of scraping and scoping.

Reaction score
Here are a few pics dunno if you can see what it looks like or not..

DSC06631.jpg

DSC06629.jpg

Reaction score
You mean those back spots?

BLACK SPOT
Black spot appears as tiny black spots all over the body, just as the name suggests. These black spots are actualy the cysts of a fluke which lives in the intestines of various birds. The eggs of the flukes pass to the pond via the faeces where they hatch and infest snails. From here they progress to other fish within the pond burying themselves into the other layer of skin forming a black casing around themselves. As the fish within the pond enviroment are the host carriers for the flukes, they don't cause much harm to the fish. If the koi are eaten by birds, the cycle is complete and will start again.

To help prevent black spot, try to keep birds away from the pond, and remove all water snails from the pond. This will help to interrupt the life-cycle and eventually get rid of your problem of black spot. Otherwise you can purchase a commerical product from your local koi supplier or koi keeper / professional.

source:
http://www.inlandkoi.com/koidisease.html

Perhaps the discoloration near his gills is from flashing.

Dont take my word for it though, Im just a googler when it comes to koi diseases.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looking I think the black spots are part of the body coloration. (BTW that's a Ki Matsuba,-the dragpnscale pattern) Looking closely at the two pics and taking them and blowing them up It appears there is a swollen spot closer to the belly. Very hard to tell but looks somewhat like bruising but I would be afraid to say that is what it is. Wish I could get a better view from above that was clearer, trying to magnify it it gets pretty blurry. Salt bath should help some, If you have a store that you can get some medicated food for bacteria I think it might be worthwhile to try. If it's not it won't hurt anything feeding it for a short time to see. If, I'm looking at the same thing as you, if it's blackspot that you are looking at Vertigo has hit on what to do there.

Reaction score
The black is color the fish had from birth. I am sad to report the fish did not make it through the night...:(

Ask a Question