Sick Shubunkin

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi. I did a 10% water change this morning and one of my shubunkins is swimming slower and on its side, lost its luster and is being bullied by the others. It was fit and healthy yesterday. The pond is large 1500l with 29 fish all about 2-3 inches. It's a new pond and the fish have been at home for about 5 weeks. No losses todate. Please help.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Water parameters?
pic?
sounds like a lot of fish for that size pond to..

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I really don't know the water parameters. Never tested them but up to now they are all happy and eat every three days. They have grown in the 5 weeks and the water is crystal clear. I have a large submersible pump and filter with UV light. When I back wash weekly the water is hardly dirty at all. The bottom of the pond is also practicaly spotless - I cleaned it 2 weeks ago using a sucktion pump. I have put an extra air pump in just invade its a lack of air. How do I know how much to feed them? They ALWAYS beg for food.
Water parameters?
pic?
sounds like a lot of fish for that size pond to..

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Water clarity does not equate into water quality. Some of the deadliest chemicals are colorless.
Exactly what is the gph rating for your pump and what brand of biofilter do you have?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I really don't know the water parameters. Never tested them but up to now they are all happy and eat every three days. They have grown in the 5 weeks and the water is crystal clear. I have a large submersible pump and filter with UV light. When I back wash weekly the water is hardly dirty at all. The bottom of the pond is also practicaly spotless - I cleaned it 2 weeks ago using a sucktion pump. I have put an extra air pump in just invade its a lack of air. How do I know how much to feed them? They ALWAYS beg for food.
Water clarity does not equate into water quality. Some of the deadliest chemicals are colorless.
Exactly what is the gph rating for your pump and what brand of biofilter do you have?
700gph pump
F.Bn11
2400lph pump
And a UV-C pond Press bio filter

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It could be, since this is a fairly new pond, that it has not completely 'cycled'. I would strongly advise testing the water, at least for Ammonia.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
not completely 'cycled'
yea that's what I was thinking, especially when I heard "water is crystal clear" because in a cycled pond, this is unlikely for the most part...
also suspect the particular fish had swim bladder disease it sound like IMO. Also agree you should get a LIQUID test kit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
can be water quality issue or bacteria , u can try to change some water , stop feeding , try any antibacterial med , where were these fishes before u placed them here? if u can place some of them there or get old water and filter

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Excellent. Thank you I'll get this first thing tomorrow morning. I'm afraid he is not going to make it. I did circulate the water for about three weeks before my fish arrived. Shall I do a 25% water change? I suspect the water to be slightly more green than a week ago.
yea that's what I was thinking, especially when I heard "water is crystal clear" because in a cycled pond, this is unlikely for the most part...
also suspect the particular fish had swim bladder disease it sound like IMO. Also agree you should get a LIQUID test kit.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Excellent. Thank you I'll get this first thing tomorrow morning. I'm afraid he is not going to make it. I did circulate the water for about three weeks before my fish arrived. Shall I do a 25% water change? I suspect the water to be slightly more green than a week ago.
Morning.
I see my last post did not upload but has now.
I did a 40% water change last night. Today all 29 look happy and healthy even my sick one. He is in the same pond but in a floating container to prevent the others bullying him. He is more active today and his gills white and not brown like yesterday. I am concerned about parasites. There is one long white thread in the water of about 2-3 cm. I saw this yesterday as well. Don't know if I'm just paranoid but I will be at my fish shop asap. Shall I hold back on feeding? Posts are very confusing about feeding. Currently the water is about 10 deg C and I'm feeding them about 3-4 pellets each every three days. Ok?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Brown gills could be a sign of nitrite poisoning, the result of a pond that has not yet cycled.
No feeding at all and test the water asap.
Is there any advice you can offer for my sick fish? It is still alive. I have added bacteria meds to the water and all other 28 fish are happy and healthy but my sick one just lies on his side on the bottom of it's hospital tank. No fin movement unless it is disturbed then it swims frantically. The gills are white and no further scale loss since Sunday.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Water parameters, don't add more bacteria as its just ammonia and nitrite....

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Y
Water parameters, don't add more bacteria as its just ammonia and nitrite....
You won't believe it but there are no liquid test kits available to but in the town I live. I found two buy both expired in 2015 so I didn't buy them! I'm still fishing in the dark. Can you recommend one I can buy online?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
My fish were flown to me from one breeder 1000kms away.
Y

You won't believe it but there are no liquid test kits available to but in the town I live. I found two buy both expired in 2015 so I didn't buy them! I'm still fishing in the dark. Can you recommend one I can buy online?[/QUOTE

Ask a Question