Sieve filters...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
In doing some browsing, I came across this thing (indoor? outdoor?), which I'd seen before in some kind of application but totally forgotten about. I think this can totally be built as a small project, just need a plastic container and a sieve. Can anyone suggest where one can find one of these sieves?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/zu6e5une.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Couldn't you use nylon screen material (the stuff that's used for windows)?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhhh the fiberglass screen door/window material that comes in various sized rolls at Lowes or H-depot. That stuff lasts nicely and I attach it to the underneath of my floating plant rings............this stuff:

IMG_1257.JPG

Not sure it would be fine enough tho to catch everything.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The material shown in the pic is much finer but I suppose that the items you both suggested can be tried. Merci beaucoup!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks for the link.

BigLou. It's a mechanical filter. You direct water over the material. Water falls through and detritus is caught on it. Once it gets full, you just take the sheet off and spray it. I think this is a much better mechanical filter than mats because it doesn't impede flow like traditional mech filters. There should be an overflow at the bottom so that once the sheet gets completely clogged, water just flows through that.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
My original intention was to create a sieve filter just like the one shown in your picture, John.

That idea has morphed. I now plan to contruct a large settlement chamber - my "axial-flow solids separator" and have it remove the largest particles and heaviest suspended solids first. The output of that will dump into a short, squatty barrel.

The bottom of that squatty barrel will be cut out and replaced with this SS mesh screen. The interior of the barrel (atop the SS mesh) will contain Matala sheet media (two layers of varying density, 1.5" thick each) to capture the larger stuff that passes through the first stage and traps it before it reaches the SS mesh.

This squatty barrel will sit atop a 55 gallon barrel with a moving Kaldness media system and aerator inside. The water from the squatty barrel will rain into the biological conversion moving media tank.

The squatty barrel isn't permanately attached to the top of the bio-converter tank, it just sits on top with a seal around it. If the Matala media gets dirty, I just pull it out and rinse it off. If the SS mesh gets dirty, I disconnect the fill pipe and lift the squatty barrel off the bio-converter barrel and set it in the yard or driveway upside down and spray it clean with the garden hose or power washer.

Gordy

Reaction score
John,

Check the company TWP on the internet. The link below is what I purchased from them, but they have everything. The specific screen in the link is 200 microns. The minimum order is 6 square feet ($75). I purchased 16 square feet which is a 4' x 4' screen.

012X064S0230W48T_1 - 12x64 Micronic Stainless Mesh .023"x.0165" Wire Dia. (Square

QTY 16 @ $12.50
= $200.00

all the mesh I find for sale on any site is always listed as mesh instead of microns, from what I can figure out on google there is a big difference between mesh and micron.

Ask a Question