Sieves

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ive just got to ask about these sieves can you only have one if you have a bottom drain ?or do they make them for an in pond pump with a flexie hoze ? only i would love to be able to use somthing like it before my bio drum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They can be gravity fed or pump fed.
stroppy said:
ive just got to ask about these sieves can you only have one if you have a bottom drain ?or do they make them for an in pond pump with a flexie hoze ? only i would love to be able to use somthing like it before my bio drum

Reaction score
I have the Ultrasieve III Midi. It's big in the UK--and I must say it is fantastical. It catches so much crud! They are stupidly expensive, but from what I've seen mind do in the last week, I am thrilled.

Here's a pic of mine in action catching yuckiness:

CIMG2776.jpg

There's also the cetus sieve, which is very popular. For me, it was too big in size and I needed something that would have a smaller footprint, so I got the ultrasieve.

Reaction score
They truly are, and unfortunately it's not something you can DIY. I've seen some pond pros have it, but the stainless sieve is outrageously expensive just to buy on it's own. It's literally half the price of the item.

But, darned, the thing works like a charmer. You wouldn't believe what I catch on a daily basis that would just be sitting in the filter/water column.

Reaction score
No. This is 300 microns thin and causes water to fall in such a way that your pump can suck in a specific manner. It's actually quite intersting the way it works. For example, I had the sieve plate in backwards earlier in the week and the box would fill and the pump could not keep up. I filipped the sieve around and voila, it worked fine. Strange contraption. It really works differently than just some netting over a bucket or a box. It's not just a simple pre-filter.

It has an interesting floating weir that that the water goes over, so depending on how much water you run over it the weir goes up and down to accomodate the flow. When I want to really crank my BD's so that it scoops up all the crud around it, the weir can accomodate the extra flow.

Plus, the III accomodates up to 7200gph, and the MIDI can swing about 4800g. I'd like to see a bucket with some nylon take that action. LOL!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would build it in the same fashion as the one youve got it just wouldnt be as fine... but ive watched the manufacturers videos and read product info on it...sure it would not be as efficient, but a $20 diy setup would aservr ell for the money. i'm aware of the floating weir and ALL other aspects of the product....in fact my uncle owns a stainless products company and is into ponds (his is phenominal) maybe he could hook me up!

Reaction score
Someone on koiphen built one out of plywood and coated it with resin, looked really nice. I'm not all up to speed on the makings of the parts and pieces and how it works. Anyone have a good diagram or drawing that shows how it does it's magic?

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i would build it in the same fashion as the one youve got it just wouldnt be as fine... but ive watched the manufacturers videos and read product info on it...sure it would not be as efficient, but a $20 diy setup would aservr ell for the money. i'm aware of the floating weir and ALL other aspects of the product....in fact my uncle owns a stainless products company and is into ponds (his is phenominal) maybe he could hook me up!

i would love to see some DIY action on this.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HERES ONE...
[ame]
SIMPLISTIC BUT LOOKS LIKE ITS WORKING!!... I WOULD GO ALITTLE MORE ELABORATE
HERES THE REAL THING
[ame]

Ask a Question