Silly Birds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I spent this weekend getting the pond running and I noticed Sunday there were a bunch of birds flying around and perched on trees and telephone poles over my head squaking up a storm. I was sure they were watching what I was doing and spreading the word "Hey! She's starting the pond back up!" I plugged in the pumps and sat down for a short break with a beer and cigar. Immidiately a robin landed on the edge of the pond within 10 feet of me and didn't seem to care I was there. He walked around the edge, stepping in a couple spots and splashing around. Then he made his was up to the stream and mini bog. He stood in the bog for a good ten minutes splashing around and grooming himself. Silly bird couldn't wait for me to start up the pumps. The doves have been all over it since yesterday too. I am so happy the weather is warming and the wildlife is active again. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had such a mild winter, I noticed the birds in my bog bathing a few times. That had to be a cold bath ....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The birds really do appreciate us building all these ponds don't they? I love when they come to take baths and flutter around and have little spats to see who gets the best spot. Here today tho I think they must all be in their homes w/ the fireplace going complaining about the cold rain we are having and the wind/snow we might get this afternoon!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is fun watching them bath, sometimes they take turns other times they spat for the spot

Reaction score
As soon as the pump comes on. It always amazes me.

I also had a dragon fly follow me everyday as I was building the pond, 10 am to 4pm like clockwork. A male I assume. It doesn't seem possible they know. Then as I was filling the pond a female shows up and starts laying eggs with 6" of water and the hose still filling. People say you need plants and stuff to attract wildlife, seems like water is enough.

Ask a Question