Silly fish goes into skimmer -- on purpose

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here are a few pics of my silly Watonai that has learned to "flow" into the skimmer -- spends a little time inside, then "flops" back out. And does this frequently. I think the fish is going inside because it's learned there might be food or other good things in there to eat. It's the only fish that does this.

In the first pic, I had turned the skimmer off in order to get a better shot of the fish -- and so the silly thing could rest a bit and enjoy its snack!
image.jpg

These are 2 shots of the fish attempting to "flop" itself out of the skimmer.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great pics and very funny how smart it is. The watonai is really pretty. How many do you have and did they all come from rain garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Now that shows these fish do not have the 30 second memory , this watonai has over a period of time has learned how to safely do this and figures its worth the risk for that extra tastey snack .
Lets just hope non of the others do as I can see one getting stuck

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great pics and very funny how smart it is. The watonai is really pretty. How many do you have and did they all come from rain garden?
I think Watonai are gorgeous fish -- next best thing to koi are Watonai and Shubunkins, IMHO! Not sure exactly how many I have, but I think maybe 6. Only 2 of those are from Rain Garden. The rest are from KoiToThe World. Also have 4 Wakin (2 from KTTW, 1 from Larkin, and 1 homegrown from a spawn summer before last). The rest are Shubies, comets, and mutts (with a few fantails and commons thrown in.)

Now that shows these fish do not have the 30 second memory , this watonai has over a period of time has learned how to safely do this and figures its worth the risk for that extra tastey snack .
Lets just hope non of the others do as I can see one getting stuck

Dave
Dave, you are so right about a fish getting stuck! That's my fear, as well!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@CometKeith @Nepen I'm not able to catch good fish pics, but here are a few lucky shots of some of the Watonai -- and I managed to get 3 of the Wakin in one shot, as well.

The fish on the right is the skimmer-hog!
image.jpg

The large one, upper right is one from RainGarden. Hard to see, but there is a blue/black one sort of in the middle. Lower left is the skimmer-hog again.
image.jpg

The 3-in-a-row, through the middle are Wakin, and the center one is home-grown. Upper left-ish is a really pretty calico Watonai. @fishin4cars The Wakin I got from you is the nicest one (as far as eye-appeal, color, and conformation), but it was camera shy today.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie if I remember rightly your going into showing your fish at fish shows for the first time this year arent you ?
Well from what we can see from these shots we both feel sure your onto a winner at the show :cool:
They all look in immaculate condition :happy:

Dave and Val

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maggie if I remember rightly your going into showing your fish at fish shows for the first time this year arent you ?
Well from what we can see from these shots we both feel sure your onto a winner at the show :cool:
They all look in immaculate condition :happy:

Dave and Val
Thanks, Dave, but not sure about showing. My main concern is having fish with good genes that will live long and healthy lives as my pets. And while the ones I have [from KTTW] are lovely fish, they technically don't fit "breed standards" for Watonai. The 2 from RainGarden, however....they are nicer fish. Look at that 2nd photo -- see how the big girl holds her tail out? That's what it should look like. Then look at the other (Watonai), and how they carry their tails collapsed and flowing behind -- like there isn't any support for the tail finnage. They are all beautiful fish, but that "tail fault" wouldn't win them points at a show. They get to live happily ever after as my pond-babies :love:

Now, I do have a goal and that is to show at Larkin's (Baton Rouge, LA) spring show one year soon. But that is more as a show of support for Larkin and their koi society.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Really pretty fish. So you mean by home grown they had babies in your pond? I didn't know if it was possible for their to have babies between two wanotais.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Really pretty fish. So you mean by home grown they had babies in your pond? I didn't know if it was possible for their to have babies between two wanotais.
Yes. A Watonai is just another "breed" or variety of goldfish like a comet or Shubunkin. It's not a hybrid, if that's what you're thinking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's exactly what I was wondering. So if that's the case I wonder why they aren't more prevelant like wakins. That's really cool that you had watonai babies. I also really like the black opal shubunkins that blackwater creek sells but I can't bear the thought of spending $150 on three fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also really like the black opal shubunkins that blackwater creek sells but I can't bear the thought of spending $150 on three fish!
That is about 10x's my limit on what a fish should cost. Also they have a disclaimer that the fish might change color as they grow might be better might not be, and don't breed true.

And my luck it would be the one to disappear.

btw they are really pretty

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is about 10x's my limit on what a fish should cost. Also they have a disclaimer that the fish might change color as they grow might be better might not be, and don't breed true.

And my luck it would be the one to disappear.

btw they are really pretty
I agree about the $$, but I did splurge with my RainGarden fish [and yes, when I started out 3 years ago, I said "no way" to spending big $$ on fish -- until I found the Watonai breed..... :love:]. Watonai, Wakin, and Shubunkins are now the only fish I'll purchase new, and plan to eventually re-home my commons, and all but a few of my comets [this includes any single-tail or non-Shubie fry].

And @addy1 and @CometKeith, color changes ARE an issue -- that fish you can't see very well in my 2nd picture [post #5] was sold as a "sky blue opal" something or other. It's now almost totally black [or dark blue] -- which is OK 'cause I like the dark, and it helps the fish hide :)

Here's what it looked like when I bought it..... If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a different fish.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful alert!!!!!! wow! those are some pretty fish TM!

like I said, if you ever have baby watonai or wakin, i'll buy some from you ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's interesting how your fish changed colors. I have one that started out black then went to orange and is now solid white. I have quite a few black fish now and I'm always watching to see if they start to change color. I have an all red one now that started out back. I'm hoping some of the other ones turn red too.

Ask a Question